Connect with us

HELP???? Motion Sensor Project

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by russellbn11, Jul 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. russellbn11

russellbn11

Jul 1, 2013
    I started a motion sensor project that quickly gotten out of hand. You'll have to forgive my ignorance of electronics, I am a Mechanical Eng, not an Electronics Eng.
    I bought a time delay relay board and a pir module hoping to make a quick and simple motion sensor for a lighting project that I am working on. The pir outputs 3.3vdc, while the trip for the relay board uses two pins that only need to connected together to activate the relay. 3.3v will not activate the relay board. What do I do? I bought a pack of transistors (NPN so the package says) from RS that don't seem to be the right answer. I can connect a 2N2222 transistor to the relay trip pins, can ground the base tr pin and the relay board will activate. Is this correct for a NPN? I'm lost. Do I have to build a transistor circuit to make the two boards work together?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The first thing you need to give us are the specs for the two devices. A link to the PDFs (if they're available on the web) would be ideal. If not, perhaps part numbers might help.

The 3v3 from the PIR device is plenty to turn on a transistor, and presumably can source enough current to do so.

Your explanation of the relay board interface is difficuly to comprehend, so I'll await further information.

3. russellbn11

russellbn11

Jul 1, 2013
    Both components were purchased from Amazon. Here are links to each item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A160MVA/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?qid=1372737005&sr=8- 31&pi=SL75
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009BTHQ26/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1372737185&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

The relay board has two pins, as seen in the picture, close to the the right hand corner. When these two pins are connected, the circuit activities the relay. Good luck finding specs, I had a hard time finding anything on them, so i just started pulling my own operation parameters with a multi meter.

4. russellbn11

russellbn11

Jul 1, 2013
    Is the pir module made to work work with arduina type micro controllers since it outputs 3v? Could I hack the relay board and trigger the controller?

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Without specs it's hard to say. I'd just be guessing. I have not used either of these devices and I can't comment with authority.

Ask a Question