Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me with my circuit (pictures included) Im not very smart about circuits

sea

Mar 28, 2012
device1.jpg
device2.jpg

I have 2 pictures, the first one is what I have now, the second one is what I want to do.

I don't have knowledge of the current part numbers of the transistor or mosfet I would need and how to excaclty hook it up to make this work, I think this would be pretty easy for someone that has knowledge of whats needed here

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also where I have the proposed area for a transistor or mosfet (or whatever it is I need there) any slight delay would be welcomed, I want the ID wire to basically complete its circuit before it triggers the main line positive 5 volts to the power wire

edit: id wire is 1.67 volts DC

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So, is it either 0 or 0.167 volts? Or is it 4.833 or 0.167 volts?

Is it a DC voltage, or have you measured some output (that may be a serial output or similar) that just appears to average 0.167 volts?

sea

Mar 28, 2012
Sorry I messed up the voltage on that id wire is 1.67 volts DC when measured from device to ground

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
1.67 volts is plenty to switch on a transistor and it can generate a larger voltage swing that can switch a logic level P Channel mosfet set up as a high side switch.

I'll try to draw you a circuit later on if you can't do it yourself.

Although you didn't answer, I'll presume the signal is a DC signal that is 1.67 volts when "on" and 0 volts when "off"

sea

Mar 28, 2012
Thanks that would be great, please give me what the part number would be on the switch and/or anything else that needs connected.

The voltage is 0 .... the device I have listed need to be plugged in for that to generate any current on the trigger wire, so once its plugged in is when it supplies that voltage

The circuit you are looking at is a cable, I am wanting to put whats needed inline inside the cable, then shrink tube it

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So this device is providing the logic level *and* the power?

Why do you need to have any circuitry? Just plug it in.

sea

Mar 28, 2012
Well for some reason when that circuit with the 10k resistor is placed closer to the device end it triggers the desired mode on the device, but does not trigger the desired mode in the device if you place that 10K at the other end of the cable nearer the power supply when the power supply is "already on"

However it "always" triggers the desired mode in the device if the power supply end is not connected first and also the 10K circuit can be placed at any distance in the cable and always works or if you plug in the device first, then connect power supply it always works to trigger desired mode in device without fail

However there are slight reliabiltiy issues even when the 10K circuit is "close to the device", one out of every 10 or so tries it does not trigger desired mode when its 5 volt power is already supplied and powered up, I have checked this many times by plugging the device in and out and for some reason its not 100%

But there are "zero" reliability issues if device is plugged and then power is supplied (it puts device in desired mode every time, I have tried this hundreds of times), so I thought getting a slight delay on that main power side this would negate any reliablity issues at all.

I notice when power is supplied but I have physically cut the positive wire and leave it open and plug the device in and then physically connect the positives together it seems to work perfectly every time because of that delay no matter where the 10k circuit is placed in the cable, no proximity issues

So I thought if I could electronically trigger that main power wire that would give me an ever so slight delay and would solve my reliability issues and my proximity issues, I realize this may not be my main problem with this circuit, but if it works it would solve my problem

This would not be an issue at al if the power supply was not plugged in first but in this scenario the main power is always plugged in and causes problems

Thanks for Your Help! Really Appreciated it!