Connect with us

help me on current regulator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by wqcbilal, Oct 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. wqcbilal

wqcbilal

Oct 5, 2013
    hello to all experts,

i have wifi router that is 12v and 2amp operated. i want to use in my car, but i have in the car cigarette lighter plug 12 v and 20 amps. can i use this device in the cigarette plug.

thanks

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Most likely yes (with caveats)

Note that your house is supplied with mains voltage at a maximum of maybe 100 amps. Yet you can safely connect your phone charger to it.

The rule of thumb is that the current supplied is determined by the load (your phone charger or wifi router), not the supply itself. This rule applies until your load tries to draw more current than the supply is capable of. On a large scale when this happens you get a brownout.

However the voltage is a concern.

This is not so much because the 12V on a car can rise to 14V or so, but because there can be spikes up to 60B and even spikes which reverse the voltage.

If you are only operating the router with the engine stopped, there is probably less risk.

Ask a Question