Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me modify power supply to get output of 16.75 V (and questions about batteries)

austinmarti

Jan 20, 2015
I've misplaced the power supply/charger for a "battery pinch". This battery pinch holds my battery and can send various voltages to different pieces of camera gear.

The battery pinch can also charge a battery that is connected to it, which is what I'm needing to do. If someone would like to explain how the pinch can under normal operation receive battery power and send to outputs, but also at other times can receive power from charger and send to battery instead, I would like to know. But that is just a side question and not important now.

The battery pinch does not show what input voltage it needs. I suspect it may be ~16.7 V that the original charger supplies. However, 16.75 V is the voltage that my (other brand) battery likes to be charged with.
I have various chargers lying around, but none at 16.75 V. Some are 12 V. The closest is my Macbook charger which says 16.5-18.5 V, but I don't really want to cut it up and splice it to plug into my battery pinch.

Is there a way to modify my other chargers somewhat easily (not requiring me to order additional parts) to get 16.75 V output? I know how to solder.

Links again if you missed them:
Battery pinch
190 Ah Battery (likes being charged with input of 16.75 V. can batteries take different voltage inputs?)

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've had a look at this device via the link you've given but I'm afraid I cant figure out what it is or what it does so I cant help you. Sorry.

austinmarti

Jan 20, 2015
I've had a look at this device via the link you've given but I'm afraid I cant figure out what it is or what it does so I cant help you. Sorry.
Hi Steve, it's just a battery charger in this case. My original post was a big rambling. I just want to know if I can modify an existing power supply/charger (12 V) to turn it into a higher voltage one (16.75 V) to power the battery charger.

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
Assuming it is the VBP-01 then it is specified for 16.8V input, but they don't seem to specify a tolerance.
I wouldn't pin much hope on easily changing a 12V charger to 16/18V. How and if it might be possible depends on the details of the specific charger. Apart from the electronic issues, if the chargers you have in mind are anything like laptop PSUs then you have two conflicting problems that I've never solved: first get it apart and, when you manage that, get it back together again!
Since your "pinch" is an expensive bit of kit, I'd just buy a new charger of the appropriate rating. It looks like a typical laptop PSU, so I'd have thought you'd get one for 30 quid.

austinmarti

Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

I just ordered a proper charger for the battery from their website. I wish I could have found the other charger for the battery pinch to see if that would charge this battery.