Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me make an A/C adapter for my camera

orizzle

Mar 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix S800C camera. I am planning on using this as a stationary camera that is always on. To my dismay, the battery only lasts about 4 hours, and the camera will not allow itself to be connected to the A/C adapter and used at the same time.

I was hoping it would be possible to connect an AC adapter to the wall and the other end directly to the inside of the camera where the battery typically goes.

The battery is:
3.7v 1050mAh 3.9Wh

It has 3 pins, labeled +, T, and -.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
As the minimum voltage a LiPo should be discharged to is around 3.3V and the maximum voltage is around 4.2V, it means your camera should be able to tolerate a wallwart adapter somewhere between these voltages. However, do not use a charger, it must be an adapter. I would try a 3.3V adapter as they are freely available. As the LiPo is only 1050mah, I guess a 300ma adapter will be OK, but 500ma will be safer.

Last edited:

orizzle

Mar 5, 2014
As the minimum voltage a LiPo should be discharged to is around 3.3V and the maximum voltage is around 4.2V, it means your camera should be able to tolerate a wallwart adapter somewhere between these voltages. However, do not use a charger, it must be an adapter. I would try a 3.3V adapter as they are freely available. As the LiPo is only 1050mah, I guess a 300ma adapter will be OK, but 500ma will be safer.

Is it just a matter of finding an AC adapter, cutting off the end, and connecting the two wires to + and -? What would the T pin be for?

Thanks so much for your help.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
It is a temperature sensor to check the battery does not get too hot during charging. You don't need it when connecting to the camera.

Make sure you get the polarity right; your camera might not have protection against reverse polarity.

orizzle

Mar 5, 2014
It is a temperature sensor to check the battery does not get too hot during charging. You don't need it when connecting to the camera.

Make sure you get the polarity right; your camera might not have protection against reverse polarity.

I used to tinker with electronics when I was a kid, but I have forgotten a lot. Kind of like when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive.

I have a multimeter here. If I strip the wire and connect them correctly, I should be seeing positive voltage, correct? That would mean I have the positive matched to positive and negative matched to negative...right?