Connect with us

Help me find the correct DC socket

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by wallacemarino, Jan 2, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. wallacemarino

wallacemarino

Jan 2, 2013
    Hi there, I'm new here.

I'm building a project that requires a 12v power supply that will draw around 8 amps continuously. I've found a suitable power adaptor that has a standard male 5.5/2.5mm dc plug but I'm struggling to find a suitable panel mounting socket to match.

I've checked many suppliers websites including RS components, Maplin, Ebay and several smaller components stores and the highest rated 2.5mm dc socket I can find is 5 amps, but as I'm looking at a continuous 12v 8 amp minimum draw for several hours at a time I figure I need an 8-10 amp rated socket to be safe. The trouble is I can't seem to find one.

Can anybody point me in the way of a UK supplier that might stock what I need?

As there are several suppliers providing 12v 10 amp power adaptors with a 5.5/2.5mm male plug fitted as standard I'm assuming you must be able to purchase a corresponding socket from somewhere.

Somebody has suggested switching to a car cigarette lighter type socket but this is not suitable. The project is an LED lighting setup and it will be housed in a shallow box and needs to be portable. A cigarette lighter socket would be too large for my needs, hence why I'd like to stick with the supplied 5.5/2.5mm plug. If so many suppliers sell 10 amp adaptors with these plugs fitted surely there must be a socket out there to match, I just can't find it.

Thanks

2. sirch

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
    Both Maplin (code JK10L) and Rapid Electronics have them, they are listed as 2.5mm DC Socket

3. wallacemarino

wallacemarino

Jan 2, 2013
    Hey, thanks for your reply.

I have looked at both of these products already and these particular suppliers do not provide an amp rating, however all the similar or identical looking products I have seen from other suppliers are only rated at either 3 or 5 amps so without data to the contrary I have to assume that these will be too.

What I need is a product like these with a confirmed published rating of around 10 amps.

Cheers

Ask a Question