Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me design a special furnace thermostat

michael285

Oct 27, 2010
I know I am being lazy. I also could figure this out my self. But I was hoping that maybe someone out there could help me get a grip on what I would like do. Maybe even give me a angle I never thought of for solving this problem.
I wish to make or alter a thermostat for my home furnace so that I would have two tempature settings one to turn on the furnace at a set low tempature and then when my space reaches the second higher setting tempature my furnace turns off.
My thinking is if my furnace heat up my space in increments of 5 or 10 degrees at a time it will run less often and will not have to waste energy to heat up to heat my space everytime my space drops a degree as it works normally. Also the wear and tear on my unit will be less burn time per hour will be less then normal setting.
I know I can be wrong but its not going to stop me from trying any how. Also would love to power the circut by the power coming from the furnace so I will not need batterys.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
Modern digital thermostats typically have a 3 degree swing, One degree above your setting turns on the system, when the ambient temp reaches one degree below your setting it turns everything off. The thermostat also has cycle times built in, the furnace will not be started twice within a certain amount of time, this condition could be caused by an open door, window, etc...

It's important to remember that short cycles are bad and long cycles are too. Thermostats take into account what modern systems were designed for. Stick with an off-the-shelf thermostat, it's the best option, in my opinion.

Last edited: