Connect with us

Help indentify these components (IC, Capacitors etc)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by The_Lion, Nov 20, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. The_Lion

The_Lion

Nov 20, 2014
    I searched it through the google etc. but couldn't find a damn clue in the internet. And also I tried the data bases of circuit simulators also, but no success. Please be kind enough to help me to identify these components, or any substitute components which can be used instead of these components in simulators, this contained in a oscillator (kind of) circuit. Your help is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    I cant find this anywhere ? what is this IC ?, A custom made one ?

[​IMG]
    My circuit simulator has the IC LM358N, but this is LM358A, I guess the pin numbers are different ?

[​IMG]
    This is not much clear, sorry about that, it says "A4 VA19", is this a some kind of SMD Diode ?

[​IMG]
    Is this a SMD Capacitor ? how to find the capacitance of the component from those numbers ?

[​IMG]
    What this is used for ? it's dimensions are about 0.5 x 0.5 inches. Do above numbers represent exact device or this is a custom made one ?

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    The first IC looks like a Fairchild 78L05 in a SOIC-8 package. See https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/LM/LM78L05A.pdf.

The LM358A and LM358N have the same pinout. The A suffix indicates tighter specifications than the version without the A; the N suffix indicates a DIP-8 (through-hole) package.

The "A4 VA19" I'm not sure about. It could be an SMT tantalum capacitor or a diode. Someone else here will know.

The mustard-coloured "106 16" is a SMT tantalum capacitor. "106" means 10 µF (106 decodes as "1", "0", then 6 zeros, with the result in picofarads (pF), i.e. 10,000,000 pF which is 10 µF). The "16" will be the rated voltage. These are polarised; the stripe at the top indicates the positive end.

The last item is (or was) an inductor or transformer wound on a small laminated iron core. The mounting and connection terminals seem to have been broken off, and at least one end of a winding is hanging in thin air. These are normally custom wound and the numbers are probably reference numbers used by the manufacturer of the product that the transformer was used in.

3. Frenoy Osburn

Frenoy Osburn

Nov 20, 2014
    Welcome to the forum!

Please find the inline responses. For the transformer and diode, I would request you to wait for opinions of experienced members.

I'm curious as to which circuit these components are from. The transformer, diode and capacitor lead me to think of a power supply section.

Hope this helps.

4. Frenoy Osburn

Frenoy Osburn

Nov 20, 2014
    Sorry for the post above, I guess Kris already posted his reply while I was typing mine.

5. The_Lion

The_Lion

Nov 20, 2014

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, normally 78L05 has 3 pins, this SOIC-8 package has 8 pins, and there are three GNDs I guess these GNDs are all connected inside. So, it is the same three pin component in a different format right ?

And I forgot to include another component, I guess this is a transistor ? how to know the exact model ?
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much for spending your valuable time on my issue.

6. The_Lion

The_Lion

Nov 20, 2014
    no worries friend, thank you for your reply :)

7. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, the 78L05 in an 8-pin package is the same as the 3-pin part with the extra pins just commoned up.

That SOT-23 device marked W1P could be a transistor, a MOSFET, a single or dual diode, or possibly some other type of component. Transistor or MOSFET is most likely. I tried a few SMT marking code databases (Google SMT markings) and couldn't find an exact match for W1P. There is a hit on W1p for the Philips BFT92 transistor, which is in a SOT23 package, but it's a very common SMT package, so that's not very conclusive. If it's not damaged, you could try removing it and measuring it, to see what type of component it is.

Ask a Question