Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help in identifying component/device

fayaz_3e

Apr 3, 2015
Hi,

As part of academic project, I am looking for a component which tracks for object(s) and signals if it is missing. The number of object are too high. I can not add anything to object. So I planned to set a component on floor top which sends signals to the object and if its missing, signal that its missing.

Please help me on identifying the component/device for this.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Regards,
Fayaz

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there
welcome to EP

I can not add anything to object. So I planned to set a component on floor top which sends signals to the object and if its missing, signal that its missing

Those 2 bits in bold are a contradiction. You cannot do one without the other

explain more clearly about your project, the objects etc

Dave

fayaz_3e

Apr 3, 2015
We have bicycle stand. These are placed in open community and being stolen in very high number. As part of academic project, I would like to contribute and help in monitoring these.

For a high-school project having 500 cycles, I would like to do a low cost project, which checks if cycle is there are not. Can we do this without adding anything to cycle itself like by passing IR or light beam?

Its just a thought, applying science to it. I don't have clear/concise requirements or information. Your inputs could be very much helpful.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
We have bicycle stand. These are placed in open community and being stolen in very high number. As part of academic project, I would like to contribute and help in monitoring these.

OK in most places around the world, people use chains with locks to secure the bike to the stand
people should really be responsible for their own possessions ;)

how would you know if the bile being taken is by the owner or a thief ? .... you wouldnt
any monitoring would almost be a waste of time, by the time the bike removal alarm sounded and some one ( security officer) responded to the bike stand from somewhere around the campus, the bike would be long gone

these practicalities are things you need to consider

cheers
Dave

fayaz_3e

Apr 3, 2015
Thanks. I understand your point. This is just for a science project in academy, I am planning to use IR or any beam to detect missing objects. To my level, practicality is of not much importance ;)

If I am asked this question during my project I can say that, since its a big cycle parking, security would sit in one place and sound would alert him.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
In principle, you can have a IR transmitter along with its paired IR detector for each cycle stand.
Monitor Change of State - when a bicycle is parked (beam interrupted) and when removed (beam restored).
That is the principle. A lot of things could "replace" the bicycle :eek: - a person walking across, a running dog, a intruding cow ....:oops:

For your presentation, you could state an assumption that only bicycles are to be parked :D