Connect with us

Help identifying this component (capacitor)?

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Protonus, Feb 18, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Protonus

Protonus

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi folks. Below is the circuit board out of a NewTrent USB battery charger. I believe I had a bad MicroUSB cable that I used with it one day and it stopped working. Opened it up to find this. Obviously I've to one or more failed components there, looks like it dead shorted the full 2 amps it outputs thru it.

I'm guessing the scorched component is a filter capacitor, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I've never ran across this particular package before. Few questions:

1.) Is it a cap?
    2.) If it's a cap, is it electrolytic?
    3.) It says 100 10V on it. Is that 100 uf, 10 Volts? Or 100 mf, 10 Volts?
    4.) Anyone know what brand that X symbol represents?
    5.) Is the red stripe for the positive end of the cap?

Thanks so much in advance!

NewTrent board.jpeg

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Looks like a 100uF 10 Volt Tantalum capacitor. They come in different case sizes so measure it to get the right one. Difficult to tell but looks like a case B or C. Case C (6032) 6mm x 3.2mm Case B (3528) 3.5mm x 2.8mm
    Thanks
    Adam

davenn and Protonus like this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Adam has you on the correct path there

it isn't uncommon to see them cooked like that

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    The stripe is the cathode end and you're right about the full supply current being driven through the capacitor since Tantalum's usually fail short circuit.

Protonus likes this.
  5. Protonus

Protonus

Feb 18, 2015
    Thank you so much for the help folks. Now that I know what this is (I've only ever worked with the "bead" style Tantalum's before), I measured it, it's a C - case. I looked at digikey, and sought replacements that weren't very pricey, yet had a low ESR. I picked out this one, and ordered a few of them: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TR3C107K010C0100/718-1324-1-ND/1663046

It had a 10% tolerance, and is 100 mOhm ESR, which I assume should be low enough, as there weren't many much lower than that. Hopefully will be replacing it soon!

6. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Replacing the capacitor may or may not correct the problem as there may be other damaged components, traces and/or vias on the board itself. It's relatively inexpensive to try though so have at it. :rolleyes:

7. Protonus

Protonus

Feb 18, 2015
    Hey folks, sorry I forgot to update this. But I soldered in the new caps I ordered above in my prior post and.... it's all fixed and working great! Thanks so much for all your help!

KJ6EAD, Martaine2005 and Arouse1973 like this.
Ask a Question