Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help identifying odd adapter

TechEnthusiastNJ

Nov 30, 2016
My family inherited this Angel recently from our grandparents. The problem is that nobody knows where the original power adapter is or what it looked like.

All I have to go on is this odd end which obviously needs to plug into something. The Angel has fiber optic strands on it.

I'm looking for suggestions/advice from the forum since this is a non-standard type of power adapter.

Does anyone know what this is so I know what to search for to get a new adapter? I presume is was made/purchased in the U.S. but I can't be certain.

Pictures attached

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 65

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
IKEA used to use these plugs for some time for supplying power to lamps. Originally this kind of plug was used for speakers. The plugs can easily be found online (search for "din speaker plug").

The bigger issue is finding the right parameters for the power supply (voltage, max. current). DO you have acess to a variable power supply? Stat from a low voltage (e.g. 3 V) an increse the voltage only so far that the angel seems to be correctly lit. Note the voltage that is present on the output of the power supply. Typical values could be 5 V, 9 V, 12 V or any other value. Note also the current that is drawn by the angel at this voltage. This voltage and current (or higher current) are the parameters you'll have to look for when getting a new power supply for your angel.

TechEnthusiastNJ

Nov 30, 2016
Great information! Thank you for your help! Now that I know what to look for (Din Speaker Plug)--finding an adapter that works is just a matter of time. I'll likely go for the variable power supply as suggested or put one together.