Connect with us

Help identifying IC

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by AmandaM, May 24, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AmandaM

AmandaM

May 15, 2015
    Dear All,

The attached is a photo of a well and truly fried IC from a GOTO Astronomical telescope’s hand controller. The computerised hand controller connects to the telescope mount via a cable with two RJ9 connectors. Unfortunately, we accidentally used a crossover cable instead of a straight-through. The result, power directly into a dataline.

As you can see, the IC is too badly damaged to fully read the chip’s identification. However, using a strong magnifying glass, I can make out the following (The asterisks indicate alphanumeric characters which I cannot read):

063AC *** 313 - (the third asterisk is possibly a K)

Further research seems to suggest that this component is some kind of DC-DC converter. I would be grateful if somebody would be able to identify this component or offer any other help. For further information, the computerised GOTO telescope mount is an "iOptron Cube Pro".

I appreciate any help offered.

Kind Regards
    Amanda

Attached Files:

2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Mme AmandaM . . . . .

You didn’t give a whole lot of extra circuit board adjunct components views but the foreground suggests of a required inductor’s edge barely showing .

Pins 1 and 2 are the prominent power handling connections to an internal power transistor.
    Pin 4 looks of being connected to a ground plane.

Of the devices that I often see being used in circuit designs, your unit is very likely of being an ST . . . MC34063AC.

Compare these datasheets of same and typical application notes to see if you find like connections being made into your unit.

BLOCK DIAGRAM:

MC34063 A _ B.png

Da Da Sheet . . . . .

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resou...df/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00001232.pdf

73;s de Edd

Tha fios agaibh likes this.
  3. AmandaM

AmandaM

May 15, 2015
    Thanks for your reply, it's appreciated. I am uploading a wider field photo of the damaged area.

Kind Regards
    Amanda

Attached Files:

4. AmandaM

AmandaM

May 15, 2015
    Further to my original post. I have just heard back from the manufacturer (I didn't expect to). You are correct, it is indeed a MC34063. However, the manufacturer didn't state that it was an *AC. I have found lots of them online. AD, ACD-TR etc. They all appear to be of the same specification. Can I use any that carry the ID MC34063 which are surface mount?

Many thanks
    Amanda

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Google the data sheets on each type.
    Typically the suffix has an indication lettering for the package type.
    That will be spelled-out on the data sheet.
    The other letters will also be demystified on the data sheet.
    Could be operating temperature ranges, or minor variations in the specs.

Tha fios agaibh and davenn like this.
  6. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Mme AmandaM . . . . .

It was in the book . . . .

Here you go . . . . you buy for me . . . it only cost 56 Amellican Pennies . . . or .50 Euros

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/MC34063ACD-TR/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtitjHzVIkrqQuPTN1dYok/SlVsfDoCO74=

In looking at the fuller pic, that you later supplied. I see the circuit design being akin to the
    Figure 15 of the data sheet supplied:
    The RED outlined area with all of its 3x parts designations is the involved power supply circuitry and its parts are being related to the schematic at the left . In your case the input voltage is probably in the 12VDC range and the output from the supply is probably being in
    the +5VDC value, in relating to the threshold of ratings of the input and output filter capacitors.

The RJ and USB ? connectors in and out intefaces are being handled by the IC6 within the YELLOW outlined area.

The unassigned IC just below the 063 receives quite a bit of your processed power supply.

Curiosity question . . . . what related action cuses activation of the units YELLOW circled Piezo alarm / buzzer ?

UNITS POWER SUPPLY / TO MANUF DATA SHEET COMPARISONS:

[​IMG]

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  7. AmandaM

AmandaM

May 15, 2015
    Thanks, everyone. I have now replaced the faulty IC and the device is working perfectly.

I appreciate the help.
    Kind Regards
    Amanda

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question