Connect with us

Help identifying film capacitor value

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by partyanimallighting, Jun 18, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. partyanimallighting


    Oct 22, 2012
    Hey guys, I have an old (read ancient) 120VAC Tripplite voltage regulator that recently went up in smoke. When I opened it up, a varistor and a film capacitor bridged across the live and neutral legs on one of the Edison receptacles were completely burnt out. The adjacent receptacle was fine so I took a picture of the components and I have sourced the varistor but I cannot find anything on the film capacitor (SRM.1M1000VK). Any ideas what value I can use to replace the burnt out component?

    2020-05-12 01.00.03B fw.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2020
  2. Harald Kapp

    Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

    Nov 17, 2011
    This is probably most likely a 0.1 µF film capacitor rated 1000 V
  3. 73's de Edd

    73's de Edd

    Aug 21, 2015
    And these BOTH are not . . . .are very possibly . . . . not being the Original Equipment Manufacture-er-er parts in this OLD of an unit.

    Be sure that your cap replacement is a " self healing" dielectric type "X" safety capacitor, with it being across the AC line voltage .
    e.g. . . . . .

    AND capacitors ( if any ? ) installed from hot to ground / frame are being " Y " rated capacitors.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Martaine2005 likes this.
  4. Ylli


    Jun 19, 2018
  5. partyanimallighting


    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks guys. I'll source it online.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day