Connect with us

Help identifying component

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dhagloch, Apr 7, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dhagloch


    Apr 7, 2014
    Hi everyone. Im a very amateur hobbyist and this is my first post. Any help is appreciated. Im cleaning out the workshop of a local mad scientist. I know enough to identify his various components but I came across a box I cant identify. Its a grid of metal sandwiched between two pieces of ceramic with wires soldered on each side. Im thinking its some kind of inline heat sink or heat sensor. Anybody have any idea what the heck these are?

    Attached Files:

  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    These are Peltier devices.

    When a current is passed through them one side gets hot and the other cold. If you heat one side (or cool one side -- or both) you will generate a current.
  3. dhagloch


    Apr 7, 2014
    I was hoping it was something like that. My vocation is computers, it will be fun experimenting with these on CPUs. Thank you!!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day