Connect with us

Help identifying component on PCB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Krayer, Dec 6, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Krayer

Krayer

Sep 7, 2011
    The component in question came off a board in an external HDD enclosure.

MDL: WD5000H1U-00
    PCB #: 4060-705014-003 REV. A

Backstory: The HDD in my father's desktop no longer worked. I wanted to mess around with the desktop a bit so I borrowed the HDD from my external. I removed the HDD from the enclosure. However, the motherboard in the desktop wouldn't recognize the HDD.

I gave up messing with the desktop so I put the HDD back in to the enclosure. The device would no longer power up. I took it apart again to inspect the board and I found the broken component. It's possible the piece of was damaged while being shuffled around on my desk. I did not see anything else damaged.

Note: The HDD/enclosure worked properly prior to being disassembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The component is wirewound. The area where it came off the board is located within the red circle in the first image. There are no numbers on the top of the component.

L: 0.080" W: 0.049" H: 0.049

Measurements might not be exact.

What's the component called? Resistor? How can the value be determined?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Well, I can't identify anything from your photos.
    If it's wirewound, it's probably an inductor or a small transformer.
    What does the silkscreen marking on the PCB where you got it from say?
    If it says 'L', it's and inductor, if it says 'T', it's a transformer.
    I know you said this is broken, but both small transformers and inductors are pretty tough
    to burn-out. So it may be broken, but that probably wasn't the original problem with
    the board.

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi Krayer,
    welcome to the forums :)

Its an inductor and looking at the tracks on the PCB going to and from it, it looks like a dual inductor, 2 separate windings on the one former. and it looks like its on the data lines of the USB port

could be a bit difficult to get a replacement ---- its hard to tell from your photo's of the inductor as to how badly you have damaged it or if it's still useable

Dave

4. Krayer

Krayer

Sep 7, 2011
    I initially thought it was an inductor. I looked at some images of common inductors online and found nothing similar to what's pictured. I also found some images of wire wrapped resistors. That's where the confusion comes from.

You're correct about the data lines.

You're able to get a better look when viewing the full image. I do not believe it's still usable. I'm not entirely sure how I could repair the component. Part of the plastic, or whatever material that is, is still left on the board. It didn't break off the pad. There are still remnants of the component on each side.

I'm not able to see two separate windings. Although, I only have a small magnifying glass available right now.

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    The only reason I think there could be 2 windings is that both data lines are going into it. if you can look at the inductor ends and see if there are 4 separate contact solder points

there's 2 possibilities.....

[​IMG]

cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

7. Krayer

Krayer

Sep 7, 2011
    How do you determine values for these components? If I were to replace it with a similar size inductor what types of issues could I expect?

It makes sense that it would be used for noise filtering since it's running on the data lines.

8. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I cheat.
    I use my trusty Sencore Z-meter to read the values.
    If you don't know somebody who has one, and you can't find a schematic with part
    numbers, sometimes it's best to check EBay for similar devices and salvage parts.
    The short answer is, if the componet isn't marked, it's tough.
    As I originally told you in answer to your first post. I doubt this component is the
    original problem (even though it's now broken). I'm curious about why you're concentrating
    on this component, when your board probably has other problems?
    It seems like you're knocking yourself out on this, when it's not going to repair the
    original problem you had anyway.

9. Krayer

Krayer

Sep 7, 2011
    As I said before, the device worked properly before it was taken apart and stored on my desk.

As for why I'm concentrating on the broken component: Occam's Razor

10. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I'm sorry, I thought you said the motherboard didn't recognize the HDD.

11. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    I think that component was for input output signal and not related to power up the usb device hdd interface board. Power pins of usb was on outer pins 1 and 4. Maybe you can try spray contact cleaner on usb port, usb plug. It might work.

12. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    It would be miraculous if a squirt of contact cleaner replaced a missing component.

13. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    If you look closely on this diagram. inductor was connected as signal filter. Even without it. USB device can still have dc power from pin 1 and 4. But of course it will not communicate due to removed inductor.

3rd page.

http://www.digikey.com/Web Export/S...appnote-usb2-usb3-protection.pdf?redirected=1

I think that inductor was not defective. It was only broken during the unsoldering or removal from board. If he tried clean the usb port with contact cleaner before the unsoldering. It might work.

USB port connector communication problem usually solve by contact cleaner.

14. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    I retract my statement that it's a transformer. It's a common mode choke (transformer turned sideways) like Davenn said.

http://www.coilcraft.com/0805usb.cfm

With an inductance meter and some fine probes, you should be able to measure one of the coils.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
Ask a Question