Connect with us

Help identifying chip

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by joestefano, Jun 25, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. joestefano

joestefano

Jun 25, 2013
    DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg
    I have what I think is an EEPROM the numbers on the back are as follows (see pics)
    DS28E01
    1240B3
    109A1H
    PHIL
    +

I want to know if with a programmer (bought from ebay Mini Pro usb) can I copy the info from this and write it to another? Where can I purchase them?
    The chip is used to identify material and monitor material levels in a printer cartridge.

I am very new at electronics so bear with me.

Thank you for your time.

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
  3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Nope:
    Bob

4. joestefano

joestefano

Jun 25, 2013
    This chip is mounted at the end of a plastic 3D printer spool cartridge. It keeps track of the type and amount of material in the cartridge. Might there be a work around to reset or by-pass this chip. What info would you need to help me?

Joe

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I think you'll find that the chip simply IDs the cartridge and the printer (or some other device in the cartridge) keeps track of the level of fill.

Printer manufacturers, in their search for more and more ways to sell cheap toner for extortionate amounts of money, are putting more and more effort into "protecting" the cartridge.

Go onto ebay. Someone may be selling kits to reset the cart and these may or may not include new chips.

Back in the dark ages of this form of ripoff, a printer I had remembered the last 3 carts. So you could have 4 of them and rotate them through the printer as you refilled them.

Memory is cheap now, so the printer could remember thousands of carts, and the cartridges can also remember their state.

It's an arms race where companies are spending more and more in order to make you pay well over the odds for chap ink or toner, and where users are finding ways to evade the "protection"

6. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/4766

The device implements challenge-response authorisation using the SHA-1 secure hashing algorithm. You can download an abridged data sheet, but to get the full sheet you need to sign an NDA.

So anyone who can supply a cracked replacement chip must have signed the NDA, and/or cracked the SHA-1 hash himself.

If you do find anything on eBay, please keep us informed.

Ask a Question