Connect with us

Help identifying capacitor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by criticalmass2001, Aug 28, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. criticalmass2001


    Aug 28, 2012
    Looking for some help identifying this capacitors characteristics:


    I figure its a 50V/220µF capacitor but I'm curious as to what the "5D1" means so that I can replace it with a similar through-hole capacitor. The format doesn't fit the standard that I saw everywhere from Google searches (e.g. Everything I see is that the first 3 character code should be all numbers, so I'm stumped by the letter. Any ideas?

  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    Well, it's an electrolytic capacitor.

    The z or the 5D1 will identify more things, but you'd need to find the datasheet to figure that out. Often I look for a similar component and try to find a datasheet which mentions these markings (It's not scientific I'm afraid).

    Knowing the diameter and the height of the component will also help track it down.

    Most of these capacitors look very, very similar. An image of the side of the capacitor may help, as the base may have some distinctive feature.

    Even with all of that, you may not be able to confidently identify the exact part.

    If you're looking for a replacement, then I'd go for something rated for 105C and physically larger (if it can be fitted). This will almost certainly ensure that you're replacing it with a similar or better component.

    Why are you replacing it anyway?
  3. criticalmass2001


    Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. No issues with my assumption that this must be a 50V/220uF capacitor, or you couldn't be sure without testing it? If so, I'll just buy a high quality 220uF capacitor that outperforms in every other criteria as you suggest and put that in.

    The capacitor that is pictured has a very solid history of prematurely failing and creating the exact symptoms that I'm seeing out of the piece of equipment that the board belongs to. I don't see any obvious bulging, but the board is worthless to me in its current state. I figure without an ESR meter to be certain about the status of the cap, but all the circumstantial evidence pointing to it, I'll replace the 40cent piece instead of buying a new board for $200 and see if that does the trick. If not, I haven't lost anything, and if it works, I've saved a couple hundred dollars.

    I've just recently rescued a $700 receiver that was completely unusable by replacing $3 worth of caps. It now performs like the day I bought it, so I'm hoping that I have the same luck here.
  4. CocaCola


    Apr 7, 2012
    Nope, I'm of the opinion that it's a 220µF 50V as well...

    The other numbers/letters are one or a combination of part series/lot number/temp rating/manufacture date/or some other manufacture specific number that you will only identify if you track down the proper datasheet..
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day