Connect with us

Help Identifying a Plug/socket

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Robert Inder, Apr 6, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Robert Inder

    Robert Inder Guest

    I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a
    replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

    Specifically, it is the plug that attaches the signal cable to the
    chassis of a Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold "dual concentric" driver
    (i.e. the tweeter is mounted at the centre of the bass driver).

    Wiggling that cable has revealed a fault in either the plug itself or
    in the cable just back from it. "Dry Joint" comes to mind. But
    the plug is awkward to disassemble --- it is held together by bending
    lugs over some kind of fibrous plate that has the actual pins in it
    --- and I'm worried I might damage it.

    I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for
    one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

    The socket is round, and roughly the size of a finger nail, with four
    places-for-pins-to-go arranged in a "slightly tapered square" (i.e. the
    plug will only go in one way round).

    The plug itself looks a bit like a short, fat coax blug but with
    (obviously) four pins!

    I've found a photo of the driver at...

    The socket for the plug I'm talking about can be seen on the chassis
    of the speaker, about 80% of the way down the centre line of the photo.

    Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And
    where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

  2. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    I have a vague recollection of them but can't remember a name.

    They're extinct now ! You'll have to replace both the socket and plug. A good
    thing since it's was lousy choice for the job in the first place.

  3. They were also used for dry batteries on portable valve radios where the
    one battery supplied both heaters and HT - so was two in one.
  4. rebel

    rebel Guest

    McMurdo used to make those. They were used in a number of stereo systems here
    in Australia in the 70's. No idea if they are still available anywhere, or what
    they were actually called.
  5. Yes, no name I ever remember.
    You may be able to solder wires to a couple of split pins of the right size
    to make a connection.

    Heat shrink could ID and insulate them.
  6. They're easy enough to repair or re-use.

    Carefully bend back the lugs on the cover and remove. The pins are hollow
    and the wires soldered to the inside. The base is fibre and not easily
    damaged by the heat of an iron - unlike many modern plugs.
  7. Russell King

    Russell King Guest

    More likely one or more of the four sockets have increased in diamiter and
    caused a loose fit.
    they consist of a rap around contact.
    If you could get to the other side with long nosed pliers
    (I have a pair that are curved )
    you might be able to give the contact tubes a gentle squeeze.
  8. PeterD

    PeterD Guest

    Molex pins come to mind for this..
  9. The UK made a type of mini banana plug which used split pins.
  10. Mark Zenier

    Mark Zenier Guest

    Looks like it might compatible with an Amphenol "Minature Plug",
    Like the number "71-4S". This is a bakelite shell with pins molded
    into it. Much cheaper versions existed.

    Buzzwords: "Type 71" or "Type 91" plug. Also matching were the
    "Type 78" sockets.

    3/32 inch pins, according to some old catalogs I saved from my youth.

    Mark Zenier
    Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)
  11. Ross Herbert

    Ross Herbert Guest

    Obsolete plug/socket no longer available (unless from surplus).

    I refer you to this site on replacing the socket onthe Monitor Gold
  12. Overkill. I'm sure the shack has speaker connectors that would fit.
  13. The problem might be how much they extend behind - so as not to foul the
  14. jonpi

    jonpi Guest

    i think i have a plug and even a socket like you need...only is
    something i have from my dad's tv repair business in the 50's and
    60's...common in audio equipment back then

    i'd be happy to give it to shipping too

    john petillo
    corvallis oregon
  15. Robert Inder

    Robert Inder Guest

    Thanks to everybody for their comments/suggestions.

    I can see it will soon be time to take up my soldering iron...

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day