Connect with us

Help identifying a component please.

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Scannerjeff, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Scannerjeff

Scannerjeff

Dec 9, 2017
    I am trying to Id the two white with clear top components on this Minolta spotmeter sensor board. I think its some sort of led/diode , but i have never seen this type before. I need to replace at least one of them . If someone knows what they are and where to source them i would be very greatful.

Attached Files:

2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    The casing reminds me of the first generation of Fairchild LED's. Any chance that the intact LED will let you confirm the color of light emitted, as well as the overall brightness level and the beam spread pattern that it is developing ?
    Then just the sub in of another LED to compare against. Most LED's operate at a 10-20 ma spread.

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
  3. Scannerjeff

Scannerjeff

Dec 9, 2017
    Hi, thank you for the reply. I did see a very faint red glow from the other component, momentarily before the other one completely broke. They are in a circuit on a senor board that is enclosed in the case of the meter , so they are not used as a lighting led per say to illuminate anything. I'm a calibration tech, and don't with repairing circuits that much so without a schematic I'm having trouble identifying what to substitute or even what the component is.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    indeed :)

I agree, they are LEDs

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It looks like your spot meter went for a swim.

If you saw a faint red flow, it could be that these are infra red LEDs. The 850nm LEDs have a small amount of emission that is visible (or is it that out eye has a small amount of sensitivity?) Either way, you can see a faint red glow.

If you can measure the voltage across the leads you may be able to establish the correct polarity.

You may need to spend some time cleaning that board though.

6. Scannerjeff

Scannerjeff

Dec 9, 2017
    Thank you , I thought it looked like it was exposed to moisture. I will work on cleaning it. I don't have much hope for it but I might try substituting a miniature led for the broken one, after determining the polarity. After seeing the conidtion of this one , i ordered a good used working unit from japan and will use this for parts if some other part on it craps out.
    I really appreciate all your responses. This was my first time asking for help on a forum. You guys are great. Thank you.

Ask a Question