Connect with us

Help Identifying 30 Pin PCB Connector?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by BenHowell, Apr 16, 2018.

  1. BenHowell


    Apr 16, 2018

    I'm currently in the process of modifying the some internal parts from an old Aiwa Hi-Fi system in order to make use of it's amplifier.
    Unfortunately the inner PCBs of the system are constructed at right angles which severely limits my options in terms of the new cabinet design.
    I am looking to join them using a cable, but I don't trust my soldering abilities to connect all 30 pins reliably.
    Does this connector look like a standard part which I could find a ribbon cable for online somewhere?
    I've included pictures of both sides of the female connector, as well as a single image of the male connector.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    All the best
    Ben H 20180415_142252.jpg 20180415_142256.jpg 20180415_142304.jpg
  2. kellys_eye


    Jun 25, 2010
    JUST the amplifier?

    There are pin designations alongside the connector that identify the relevant signals on each pin, many of which have nothing to do with the amplifier part so could be left unconnected thereby simplifying any soldering that may be required.

    The connectors look to be manufacturer-specific but someone else may recognise the marque.... it's not one I've come across.
  3. BenHowell


    Apr 16, 2018
    Hi kellys_eye, thanks for your help!
    Yeah, I actually did think to myself 'I wonder how many of those are actually needed to make this thing work'.

    The board with the male connector hosts the amplifier circuitry, plus all of the input and output connections. The board that joins this one at right angles is basically the front face of the original hifi, so it houses the power buttons, volume control, input choice buttons etc. It also holds the display which I believe is a vacuum fluorescent type.

    I'm not sure from looking at the pinout which ones I would need, or how to even go about testing it. Any suggestions from those more knowledgeable than me would be greatly appreciated! :)

    Ideally, I want to just build a simple housing for this, and hide all the circuitry inside. I would just de-solder the volume control, and power button contacts and mount new controls on the outside of the new enclosure.

    It's just this annoying right angle join that makes it a really awkward shape to re-house at the moment, hence the need to involve a ribbon cable to effectively 'fold' the whole thing into a smaller shape.
  4. dave9


    Mar 5, 2017
    I'm confused. If you don't know which connections you need, what good would having a ribbon cable with the mating connector do?

    Seems like it would be easier to keep both boards and add any addt'l circuitry you want into the original amp case, or to buy a ready-made or built-it-yourself amp kit off ebay to use a custom enclosure. Odds are this would also allow you to make the enclosure a lot smaller.
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day