Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help identify this part!

Jakeklem

Sep 27, 2010
Hi I have a burnt out part from a lcd tv power supply. I believe its a fused Metal film resistor, but i'm having trouble figuring out what its specifications are

The only clear marking on it reads
F1J
FILE0014.jpg

Read from a similar one nearby I believe it also had these on it
0.1 (omega symbol)
(some symbol) 607 in picture below
FILE0016.jpg

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Maybe a resistor, but more likely a fuse

cheers
Dave

smartvmusa

Sep 13, 2010
You are right. It is a fused resistor. But i am not getting clear picture of this, so please tell me what type of specification you needed.

Thanks
Peter Pal Disuja

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakeklem

Sep 27, 2010
thanks for the replies. I would like to know what the markings mean so that I can find a replacement.
It has these printed on it.
F1J
0.1 (omega symbol)
(some symbol) 607

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would take a guess at it having a 0.1 ohm resistance.

That's presuming that both components are the same.

Certainly sounds like a fuseable resistor. Your major task will be to determine why it fused... It certainly doesn't look like the type of failure caused by fatigue.

Stupidspencer

Sep 29, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to identify the same resistor which came out of... wouldn't you know it.... an lcd tv power board. Namely, a Vizio 47" lcd with model #: SV470XVT1A.
Did anybody ever figure out what manufacturer these resistors are from? The symbol looks like it says FD or HJ or maybe an asian language letter. I havent had any luck searching the web for these and other letter combos.

In addition, another resistor near it blew also which has markings:
(manufacturer symbol) (space) 80X
and
2WJ
and
.7? (omega)

I believe the 2WJ are industrial markings for power dissipation and tolerance: this one being 2 watt 5%. But Im not sure.

Unfortunately on BOTH resistors, the area where the resistance value is printed cracked off or vaporized or something so I can only read the first digit. One reads .1? and the other reads .7?. You can tell there was another digit there on both because you can still see the edge of the ohm symbol on both.

These are high temp carbon-film resistors, not fuses. The manufacturer shouldve used higher wattage resistors because testing shows nothing else wrong with the circuitry. The resistors just overheated and blew.

But please, if anybody thinks they know who the manufacturer is (or the wattage, tolerance, and resistance) it would help me greatly.

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
when a resistor blows its value normally increases..
first measure its resistance.. then get a pot of equal power rating and try to use it by seting the resistor value from high to low..
stop where u think all is ok.. crude way .. but i have tried it once and tv is still working..

Stupidspencer

Sep 29, 2011
Well, both resistors are open, so measuring the resistance is not an option. Besides, if they still had resistance (and the proper resistance) I wouldnt need to replace them.

I believe I may have found the problem but I wont know till I get new resistors.The big capacitor had a broken solder joint which may have caused it to arc and cause the other components to blow due to the sudden surges. Theres a small amount of localized smoke evidence on the bottom of the PCB around the broken solder joint.