Connect with us

Help Identify IC

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Eric Gallagher, Sep 11, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Eric Gallagher

Eric Gallagher

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello, I have a Vollrath/Luxine induction board where one of the ICs has been fried (yes, the top is missing/gone). I contacted Vollrath, but they were no help citing government regulations (?). This is the same board as mine and I attached the circled IC. Anyone know what chip this is? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• IC.PNG
      IC.PNG
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
  2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi Eric and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Is there an IC circled in that picture? If so, I can't find it. I did find Waldo though :)

3. Eric Gallagher

Eric Gallagher

Sep 11, 2014
    Sorry, for some reason, the pic didn't upload the first time...

4. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    That looks like a Power Integrations logo on it. It looks like it's driving the power transformer. It will probably be one of the following, but without being able to read the part number in the photo, I couldn't say which one.

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...021e7&ColumnSort=1000002&stock=0&pageSize=250

You may be able to narrow down the possibilities by figuring out which pin is missing. It looks like the one in the photo may be partly missing pin 6, or it may have all eight pins. You should be able to tell by looking for holes in the board. That should narrow down the possibilities.

Angelo likes this.
  5. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 10, 2014
    At a first sight is seems some kind of optocoupler. But from the location seems probably a switching driver, with power driver included (since i don't see any transistor in the primary section)

See this:

http://www.semicon.sanken-ele.co.jp/ctrl/en/product/detail/STR4A162D/

The site also have a nice diagram so you can figure out connections, that are probably compatible for this case.

(Arrived a bit late :) )

6. Eric Gallagher

Eric Gallagher

Sep 11, 2014
    I agree, it does look like a PI and the sixth pin is missing. FWIW, attached the fried chip.

Attached Files:

7. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Looks like it could be a member of the TOP series. Have a look at this data sheet: http://www.powerint.com/sites/default/files/product-docs/top232-234.pdf

Pins 2, 3, 7 and 8 are all grounded on your IC, and so is pin 1. On the TOP devices this is called the M (mode) pin and grounding it disables various functions that the M pin could be used for. Apart from the grounded pins, there are only two remaining pins - the D pin, pin 5, which connects to the primary of the transformer, and the C pin, pin 4, which is used to sense the output voltage so the device can regulate.

So that device could fit with the connections on the board, but there are many members of that family, with important differences such as maximum output power and switching frequency. You could try guessing - for example, get the highest power rating, and one of each frequency, and hope that if you use the wrong frequency IC it will go bang and you can try the next one. But if you choose the wrong frequency and it doesn't go bang, it may do so later, or under heavier load, etc. So you would be taking a risk.

Is there any way you can get a look at a functioning board?

Ask a Question