Connect with us

help:Heatsink types

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gholamghar, Apr 10, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gholamghar

gholamghar

Apr 10, 2010
    Hello
    I am working on a Heat transfer project and I should choose a heatsink for my project,the problem is i am not familiar with different typess of heatsinks very well and i need to know what are different types of Heatsinks.in wikipedia in this page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

i found out there are pin fin, straight fin and flared heat sink types but i need to know more types of heat sinks,is there any sites,webpages,pdfs, articles ... that has described or demonstrated differ types of Heatsinks?
    I really really appreciate if anyone could help me about this.
    Thanks in advance

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Basically the one detail you need to know is the rating you require. This is degC/W

For each watt of energy put into the heatsink, this is the increase in its temperature.

Heatsinks are pretty much for heat what resistors are for electrical current. from the point at which the heat is generated to the final heatsink, everything has a "thermal resistance" which will affect the performance of the system as a whole.

Once you determine the rating in degC/Watt for your system, then you start looking for heatsinks (and other involved components) that will suit your need. Perhaps you will require forced air (a fan) which will attach to certain heatsinks, or perhaps it can be passively cooled (no fan), in which case you will have other options.

Ask a Question