Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help finding transformer

Sparkchaser

May 22, 2012
I hate trying to find transformers. Pics are attached. This trany has open windings all the way around. Anyone have any idea how to find replacements? I do not know the turns ratios or any specs. This is out of a failed power supply for an Infocus projector.

Ofcourse, google turned up zilch...

Thanks for the help guys!!

Attachments

• T201A_1.JPG
    T201A_1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 242
  • T201A_2.JPG
    T201A_2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 241

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It may be a custom part, and if the projector manufacturer buys in the power supplies already built up, it may be unknown even to the projector manufacturer.

It is reasonably unlikely that he transformer is the primary cause of failure, so a replacement may expire in short order.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Is the power supply a separate board? (you may be able to find a replacement power supply)

Have you considered undoing the tape, unwinding the transformer (counting the turns), and rewinding it again? (with a high frequency transformer there may be mercifully few turns compared to a mains transformer)

Sparkchaser

May 22, 2012
I am pretty sure that is the case. That seems to be the case on most consumer products. The power supply is unavailable, I can't find it anywhere. As a matter of fact, I can't find any parts for this projector. (Except for the lamp of course)

And the company basically laughed at me when I inquired about schematics. (Though most do...)

Thanks for the help. Putting this one up for parts I suspect. Rewinding the transformer would be more labor than I can alot to this project.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sounds like you've done most of what I would do. I'll throw in my last resort:
I don't know how expensive this unit is, but a lot of times I buy broken or damaged
equivalent units off ebay, (broken, or 'don't know the condition'), as cheap as I can,
and strip the thing for parts.