Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help finding Rheostat

iivydriff

Aug 15, 2013
Ive got a couple of burnt up rheostats. I need to find a replacement for them could someone help me out with that? Here are the part numbers and brand its a Clarostat CM43061 15ohm 19-9310 it is on a 6v light. the battery is an 8amp . Is there any way I can find an exact match for these? Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to the forums :)

maybe do some searching on farnell (now element 14 in some countries), mouser, digi-key with that part number.

there are not 8Amp batteries ... do you really mean 8 A/h ?
what is the load and how much current does it draw ?

Dave

iivydriff

Aug 15, 2013
hi there
welcome to the forums :)

maybe do some searching on farnell (now element 14 in some countries), mouser, digi-key with that part number.

there are not 8Amp batteries ... do you really mean 8 A/h ?
what is the load and how much current does it draw ?

Dave

Yeh I guess 8 a/h on the battery. Im not sure on the current draw I figured with the part number I could just get a replacement. I did search is some of those areas with no results. It didnt say any wattage on the Rheostats themselves. . .

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
that's unusual not to have a wattage on it
Im assuming with that previous comment of mine that its a wire wound one NOT a carbon track type ?

show me a pic of it so I can read the info on it

You're not sure of the current drawn ... ok what IS the load ... a lamp, a motor, something else ?

Dave

Last edited:

iivydriff

Aug 15, 2013
that's unusual not to have a wattage on it
Im assuming with that previous comment of mine that its a wire wound one NOT a carbon track type ?

show me a pic of it so I can read the info on it

You're not sure of the current drawn ... ok what IS the load ... a lamp, a motor, something else ?

Dave

Its a 6 volt Light this is just a dimmer switch for the light. Pr13 bulbs go in it 6v halogen bulbs can be used in it. On the top is says Clarostat .

Attachments

• DSC03267.jpg
    DSC03267.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC03266.jpg
    DSC03266.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I just read on one of the Halogen bulbs it said 6v 4 watts.

OK so that's a 0.66A (660mA) current drawn from the battery
almost too much for a carbon track variable resistor

on the view from the top ... the first pic ... see how there are 4 little lugs bent over ?
you can straighten them and slide the cover off, then you will see if the resistance track
is carbon or wirewound

Dave

iivydriff

Aug 15, 2013
I can get a replacement for 25.00 from the company that makes the light that the rheostat is in. I thought that was a little high that is why I was looking. I figured I could probably get one for 4 ro 5 bucks. But maybe the 25.00 is not too bad after all. It already comes installed in a plastic piece that screws down on top of a battery. So the Rheostat is on top of the battery that you wear on a belt. I Could install one myself, but may not actually be able to save any money. I actually need two of them. We are going out of town today I will be driving right by a dealer for these lights. I guess I just stop in and pay the 25.00.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Just buying what you need is probably the best way to get the job done.
When I'm not in a hurry, I Google the part I want, and try to find the cheapest price.
There are a lot of salvage-type places that sell obsolete parts at a large discount, but
finding the part and mail-ordering it, takes time.
It sounds like you just want to do the job, and get it over with.
Yeah, resistors, and especially wire-wound rheostats are pretty pricey these days.