Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help finding a suitable transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronicnewbie

Jul 12, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a three phase transformer with a 1000V primary, 500V secondary and a maximum rating of 40kVa

Having not been in the electronics business for a long time I'm struggling a little!

Where do you guys source your transformers from? Having a look online I can find 40kVa rated three phase isolating transformers, but none match my voltage requirement!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,

EN

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
Not knowing what is available in the UK, But you need to find a Transformer Manufacturer,
And get one CUSTOM BUILT.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Where are you going to get the three-phase primary power from? Will a certified electrician install the transformer? Is this a wye connection or a delta connection? Is the secondary a wye or a delta? What are you trying to DO?

A 40 kVA transformer, convection cooled, is a pretty good sized piece of steel. You can find sources here. The last one I bought in this size was purchased, used but in good condition, several years ago. We hired a professional company to install it. If this is really what you need and want, it sounds to me like you lack the qualifications to deal with it. Post some circuit diagrams and tell us what you want to DO with such a transformer.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I'm looking to buy a three phase transformer with a 1000V primary, 500V secondary and a maximum rating of 40kVa

Having not been in the electronics business for a long time I'm struggling a little!

Where do you guys source your transformers from? ,

EN
That is quite the transformer for an electronic 'newbie'!
There are not that many here that use a transformer of that size and rating.
Where in the UK are you getting that kind of service supply?
I have a Electricians licence for the UK and it requires a licence to work at that level of supply.
And IIRC that is not a standard distribution voltage when I was there.
M.

Electronicnewbie

Jul 12, 2016
Where are you going to get the three-phase primary power from? Will a certified electrician install the transformer? Is this a wye connection or a delta connection? Is the secondary a wye or a delta? What are you trying to DO?

A 40 kVA transformer, convection cooled, is a pretty good sized piece of steel. You can find sources here. The last one I bought in this size was purchased, used but in good condition, several years ago. We hired a professional company to install it. If this is really what you need and want, it sounds to me like you lack the qualifications to deal with it. Post some circuit diagrams and tell us what you want to DO with such a transformer.
Very patronising, but thanks for the help non the less.

Electronicnewbie

Jul 12, 2016
That is quite the transformer for an electronic 'newbie'!
There are not that many here that use a transformer of that size and rating.
Where in the UK are you getting that kind of service supply?
I have a Electricians licence for the UK and it requires a licence to work at that level of supply.
And IIRC that is not a standard distribution voltage when I was there.
M.
Hah, isn't it just!
If I'm honest, that side of the project I am not involved in, I am working on behalf of one of my customers who has asked me to source a few of these things!
By the sounds of it, it's quite a feat.
I guess I will have to find somewhere that makes custom built transformers.

Thanks for your help!

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
There is a Good Transformer Manufacturer in Canada.
I have ordered a few Custom made transformer from them in the past.
But Never that BIG.

Hammond Transformers of Canada.
I Phoned them and Yes they can make you a Custom Transformer with those specifications.

Their Website is: http://www.hammondmfg.com/5cindex.htm

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
I'm guessing it might make more sense to rewind the 50Hp motor for less cost than a custom transformer.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Very patronising, but thanks for the help non the less.
Well, you are self-described as "Electronicnewbie" so what was so patronizing about my response? You didn't even bother to answer my questions!
I'm practicing my psychic skills.
I was practicing my patronizing skills. Maybe we both have that down pat. Maybe the OP will deign to reveal WTF he is trying to do.
50hp motor? I must have missed that meeting.o_O
M.
No, you didn't. But if this is a motor application instead of, say, an electrolytic power supply application, it is a LOT cheaper to rewind a three-phase 50 HP motor than to build a 40 kVA transformer.

I think I will move on to trying to answer questions from posters who say what they want to DO rather than asking us to find stuff for them. Google is everyone's friend if you carefully craft the search string.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@Electronicnewbie

In future, you may want to check your attitude towards people that are doing their
best to help you with a lack of info from you

thread closed

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.