Connect with us

Help finding a replacement for old capacitor

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by ElectroTonic, Apr 18, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ElectroTonic

ElectroTonic

Apr 18, 2014
    Hello,

I have been working on repairing an old synthesizer. It is an Arp Odyssey. Anyway, I broke a lead off of an old capacitor and I am having a hard time finding a replacement. It is a polycarbonate capacitor which are no longer manufactured apparently. I have a couple pics below of the cap. poly_cap_1.jpg poly_cap_2.jpg

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Is that ".47 MFD" (0.47uF) or "47 MFD" (47 uF)? I think I can see a decimal point, but I'm not sure if it's partially rubbed off or some dirt.

It's clearly a capacitor, and it's clearly 100V

My best guess is that it's a polyester 0.47uF axial capacitor made by Cornell Dubilier.

There is some supporting evidence for it to be a 47uF electrolytic, however this packaging matches the above description and 10% tolerance is rather too fine for an electrolytic capacitor of this vintage.

What is wrong with it? Are the leads snapped off?

3. ElectroTonic

ElectroTonic

Apr 18, 2014
    it is .47 MFD, which to me, means .47 microfarad. I looked it up on the BOM for the synth and it is a polycarbonate cap. The leads are broken right at the base of either side of the cap. My concern is what would make the best replacement since these polycarb caps are not made anymore.

4. rajeshr

rajeshr

Mar 21, 2014
Ask a Question