Connect with us

Help Finding a Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gregm, Aug 3, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gregm

Gregm

Jun 3, 2010
    I am looking to expand my knowledge of electronics. I am looking for a simple kit, maybe an FM transmitter. I would like the kit to explain, step by step, what the various components do and why they were selected as I am assembling the kit. I am NOT looking for a kit, which only teaches me that I can follow instructions and solder correctly. It would also be nice if while I am assembling it, if the instructions had tests that could be preformed to help insure assembly was going right.
    Does anyone know of a kit like this?
    Thanks

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You're asking for an awful lot.

It's fair enough to want to know what the circuit does and how it operates.

Finding out what each component does (separate from its function in the circuit) is a job for Google.

Looking at the reason each part was chosen could be trivial (the spec for part X gave a circuit with these values) or very complex (choice of capacitor based on ripple current ratings, ESR, likely ambient temperature, design life, and cost constraints). Most often it's the former :)

My recommendation would be to find a good electronics magazine and get a kit for one of their projects (or just read the magazine). Many of them (the good ones anyway) describe how their circuits work in detail. It may be more of what you're looking for.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Let me expand on that.

Most of the components in any given design are simple to choose. The designer either grabs an existing building block, or uses his/her experience to quickly design something.

Quite often the power ratings of the components are not an issue, and the voltage ratings of capacitors can be determined by simple rules, etc.

Indeed the selection of some components may be based on little more than they are the parts the designer has experience with, or are convenient for one reason or another.

However there are often a couple of parts where more care is needed and perhaps some trade-offs have to be made.

Ask a Question