Connect with us

Help finding a display

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by MarkJessney, Nov 3, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MarkJessney

MarkJessney

Nov 3, 2017
    Hi,

I have just started designing a PLC input simulator as part of a work based project and after searching the internet for a few hours, I have been unable to find a display that fits my requirements. The device will be simulating a 0-10V and a 4-20mA signal and I want to be able to change between them with just a switch on the device. The display needs to be as small and low profile as possible as it will be a handheld device, however I will not be selecting a case until i have found the correct display so the specific dimensions aren't important.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mark

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What sort of display do you need. I assume it's somewhere between a single LED and a video wall.

At present we have no idea what you want to display.

Is a 2 line by 20 character LCD display ok?

3. MarkJessney

MarkJessney

Nov 3, 2017
    Sorry, I've just realised I wasn't very specific. I just need the display to show the mA or V reading that it's currently outputting. It can be any type, as long as it displays that information

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Try again - you're lacking in information........

How big?

There are the generic 7-segment LEDs that come in all sizes up to around 5- or 6-inches in height and dot-matrix versions of similar size (perhaps a little smaller maximum size).

Or there are LCD's in dot-matrix and alphanumeric.

Colour LCD perhaps?

Dot matrix and colour LCD can be found in the I2C control variety which makes interfacing pretty simple given the profundity of libraries written for the Arduino (sketches).

More appropriately, how will you INTERFACE with the device(s)?

5. MarkJessney

MarkJessney

Nov 3, 2017
    This why I asked the question as I am not familiar with displays, so I don't know what I want/need. The display just needs to be small enough for it to fit into a hand held device, so ideally no bigger than 100mm(L) x 40mm(W) x 20mm(D). The interface will just be two analogue inputs, one being 4-20mA and the other 0-10V.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A 8 character x 1 line LCD display will be way smaller than that and is pretty easily interfaced.

Look on eBay for the styles that are available.

Edit: it looks like the smallest on eBay note is 16 characters by 2 lines.

Edit 2: there are also plenty of small tft and oled displays for a fiver or so.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  7. bushtech

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Ask a Question