Connect with us

Help Finding a Connector

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by ukchris, Oct 24, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ukchris

ukchris

Oct 23, 2009
    Hello! I was hoping someone may be able to help me locate a connector I'm looking for, I don't think my needs are that exotic but after hours going through digikey and mouser I cannot seem to find anything appropriate.

I want to create a sort of "docking" connection between two pieces of acrylic, I only need four conection points although more would not be an issue and it needs to only fit one way. I see it being similar to a docking port on the bottom of my laptop.

It would be a mail/femal pair that would fit together but not latch so it would stop the mounted device from sliding around but be easy to lift off when needed. Slimmer is bettwe but is not critical, some way of glueing or screwing it to the acrylic would be ideal as I will be fabricating the pieces myself.

Can anyoen suggest such an item or appropriate terms to search on to find the male/female pairs to locate such a docking connector?

Thanks,

Chris.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    My first thought was simply using banana plugs and sockets. Both can be had for panel mounting and would create a gap up to maybe 10mm.
    But they are rated at max 60V and around 10A. I don't know what you intend to pass through there?
    A less protruding (when undocked) contact would be D-sub contacts (as used on the back of computers). They are rated at 1-2A per pin and has 9-36 pins, but requires more a more elaborately shaped hole.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. ukchris

ukchris

Oct 23, 2009
    I should have mentioned it will be using 12v car voltage so nothing major, I don't think current or voltage will be a concern, I'm more concerned about ease of "docking" and appearance. The final build will be somewhat similar to a Kodak camera dock, a tray that the device "docks" in to easily. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok. I'd try to use 9-pin D-sub contacts then. One of them might be mounted from behind one of the acrylic pieces so as to make it non-protruding with a resulting gap of down to 2mm. They are sturdy and reliable and easily finds their way together. Use a female contact on the power supplying side, and use dual grounds - one on either end - to make sure it contacts first. Smaller varieties are also available.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. ukchris

ukchris

Oct 23, 2009
  6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, that is a connector of the kind I was thinking about that could work.
    I don't know you exact design criterias but all docking systems I know of have some kind of mechanical guidance before the contacts mate. Some conical shaped pins & holes at the corners or beveled edges or something? The required mating force of course varies between contact types. I don't know about any inherently self-guiding/centering contacts.

7. ukchris

ukchris

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks for all your help, I'll try picking up varios D shapes and see how I can mount them. Ultimately I think these will end up on the edge of a piece of 1/4" acrylic or similar so I'll aim to have it slide in on a track, I'm just not sure how I'll mount them without it looking ugly, we'll see.

On another note I am looking for a momentary switch, it should be black, fairly small (say 1/4" diameter) low profile and should mount through a hole with a collar. So I'd drill the hole, shove it in then screw the collar on. Is there a special name for this sort of mount? I have been through literally 30+ pages of "panel mount" switches on mouser with no luck.

8. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Edge mounting on acrylic, yes I see your challenge..

Maplin have one they call a sub-miniature push-to-make switch with non locking action, JM01B. It's 20.5mm (l), 7mm (dia.), 5.2mm panel hole. I don't think you'll find an all-black all-plastic switch but this one has a black button at least.
    So-called tactile switches might also be considerer but they need to be soldered to a pcb.
    With Mousers 40000 switches (14000 bushbutton ones) it sure is a job to find the right one..
    Look in "All Products » Electromechanical » Switches » Pushbutton Switches".
    I see terms like "bolt in", "through hole", "panel", "nut", or even "chassis" could be used to describe this mounting.
    It would also be a "momentary", "push", "NO", "on", "off-(on)", "SP", or "SPST" action.
    Their search engine is rendered almost useless by their braindead indiscriminate entering of all these different terms for the same thing..
    But I found 32 candidates, of which many are obviously unsuitable for you. Only a few had pictures in the result list so it's a whole job to go through all the data sheets.
    Good luck..

Ask a Question