Connect with us

help driving DC motor from AC supply please

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by hoolko, Mar 16, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hoolko

hoolko

Mar 14, 2013
    i will gladly pay for your knowledge and help....i have a small dc motor...type ZYT-63-12...specs DC90V...0.1Nm....2000 rpm...0.4A....ive been told that i can power this motor with a simple bridge rectifier to convert 110v ac wall outlet to dc ....one of the inexpensive single phase 4 tab solder types...they cost only a couple dollars.....when i go to an electronics site the techs tell me they have 1000's of rectifiers and cant help me....have i taken on what i thought would be a simple project to find out it is actually terribly expensive and complicated? i can pay you through paypal for info and buy the supplies from you.....do i need an electrical engineer? thanks so much,Nick

2. pwdixon

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
    It's going to be more complicated than simply rectifying the mains. For a start the current quoted on the datasheet goes as high as 6.5A I assume at 240V. I'm not sure where your 0.4A and 90V come from. In any case even at 0.4A you will probably need some thermal management to keep the rectifier temperature under control.

You will also want some protection, at least a fuse to limit the mains if there's a fault. What will the circuit do if the motor stalls? I would guess the current will rise and head for some much higher value than the running current. Even the startup current will be higher than the running current and that should be managed.

Another factor is that high dc voltages (ie greater than 60V dc) are regarded as hazardous.

3. hoolko

hoolko

Mar 14, 2013
    thanks

thanks..i just purchased the following.....Input AC110V Output DC0-90V Motor Speed Controller 120W for $38...it works great...pic attached....the specs formotor are on the motor....

Attached Files:

4. pwdixon

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
    I think what you said was the 90V is what the controller spec is but the motor spec (Googled) suggests that the motor will want to try to take more current at that voltage.

So have you connected this up and does it work? It may well depend on the motor physical loading, I might have expected the motor to possibly stall under load if the controller goes into limiting or worse.

Ask a Question