Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help determine a stepper motor

circuitland

May 1, 2012
How is every body doing?
I have taken a motor out of a old stereo system the motor has four pins the two of the pins have a positive and a negative, the third one has a letter A written on it and the other on has nothing written on which. We have a school project and we are doing a 3 axis motion controller like a wending maching picking and place machine kind of thing. so i just to use the motor for experimental purposes. Before we actually buy a stepper motor and mess with it.

Q- Is this a stepper motor or not?

Have a great day

Attachments

• 0430121756-00.jpg
    0430121756-00.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,074

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you turn the shaft, does it turn freely, or does it step from position to position?

If the latter, then it's a stepper motor.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
How is every body doing?
I have taken a motor out of a old stereo system ......
Q- Is this a stepper motor or not?

Have a great day

hi
welcome to the forums :)

most likely not, the majority of tape deck, record deck motors are just standard motors and as is common in this situation, they have input/output connections for speed monitoring and control

many tape decks have the ability to be able to vary the speed of the tape and this is how they do it :)

Dave

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
In searching around, I found a few people also asking for the specs on that motor, but no one having the specs.

I did find this thread where someone is replacing that motor. They are trying to fix a casset player... your tearing one apart. HA!

Anyway, the replacement they found was from Poineer and goes by EXA1241. But I couldn't find anything about EXA1241 either. Just noticed that on this sales page it is called "EXA 1241 TAPE DECK MOTOR PIONEER XDZ-55T = MMI6H2LWK / 12V"
(I did not search at all for xdz-55t, and now I have to head out the door.)

No where at all did I read anyone refering to it as a stepper motor. I agree that it likely is not.

Other things you can destroy to find a stepper motor I have heard people mention is a floppy drive and a inkjet printer.

--tim