Connect with us

help determine a stepper motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by circuitland, May 1, 2012.

1. circuitland

circuitland

May 1, 2012
    How is every body doing?
    I have taken a motor out of a old stereo system the motor has four pins the two of the pins have a positive and a negative, the third one has a letter A written on it and the other on has nothing written on which. We have a school project and we are doing a 3 axis motion controller like a wending maching picking and place machine kind of thing. so i just to use the motor for experimental purposes. Before we actually buy a stepper motor and mess with it.

Q- Is this a stepper motor or not?

Have a great day

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you turn the shaft, does it turn freely, or does it step from position to position?

If the latter, then it's a stepper motor.

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi
    welcome to the forums :)

most likely not, the majority of tape deck, record deck motors are just standard motors and as is common in this situation, they have input/output connections for speed monitoring and control

many tape decks have the ability to be able to vary the speed of the tape and this is how they do it :)

Dave

4. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    In searching around, I found a few people also asking for the specs on that motor, but no one having the specs.

I did find this thread where someone is replacing that motor. They are trying to fix a casset player... your tearing one apart. HA!

Anyway, the replacement they found was from Poineer and goes by EXA1241. But I couldn't find anything about EXA1241 either. Just noticed that on this sales page it is called "EXA 1241 TAPE DECK MOTOR PIONEER XDZ-55T = MMI6H2LWK / 12V"
    (I did not search at all for xdz-55t, and now I have to head out the door.)

No where at all did I read anyone refering to it as a stepper motor. I agree that it likely is not.

Other things you can destroy to find a stepper motor I have heard people mention is a floppy drive and a inkjet printer.

--tim

5. circuitland

circuitland

May 1, 2012
    Thank you all for the reply it been a great help
    have a good one!!!

Ask a Question