Connect with us

Help connecting ebike charger to USB

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by forwhere, Jun 13, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. forwhere

forwhere

Jun 13, 2015
    I want to connect a USB cord to the battery of my ebike charger. The connector of the ebike in the pictures looks like a male coaxial power connector, but I'm not too sure as it doesn't have the grooves of a coaxial. I'm new to this and have searched all over looking for a connector to connect to USB.

The dimensions are: head (3mm), inner width (8mm).

Would appreciate any pointers in the right direction!
    Kay

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What voltage does the ebike charger output? I very much doubt it is 5V. An adapter to USB is useless in that case.

3. forwhere

forwhere

Jun 13, 2015
    Hi Harald - thanks for your reply. It's a 42V output for the charger. How would you set up an ebike battery to charge a phone then? I go on long rides and I'm trying to see whether I can do that. Thanks

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You will need a voltage regulator that creates 5V from 42V. As this is a rather high voltage difference, a switch-mode regulator is the best option to save energy.
    You can buy off-the-shelf ebike USB chargers (here's an example) that then should come with a fitting socket.

hevans1944 likes this.
  5. forwhere

forwhere

Jun 13, 2015
    Awesome. Thanks.

6. forwhere

forwhere

Jun 13, 2015
    Harald - can we chat on Skype directly? I need more help with this project.

Ask a Question