Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help Changing A Switch

Jay Singh

Feb 8, 2016
Hello,

I have a USB hub which I have hard wired into my car. The hub is powering a speed camera detector but every time I turn the car on, I need to switch on the hub which is abit annoying as it is not in an easily accessible place. I wanted to "extend" the switch so I can mount it somewhere where it is easy to turn on but I'm not sure how to do it or is there a way to have it permanently on. I've attached pictures of the switch. It is a case of removing the solder, adding wires and re-soldering it back together?

Thanks for any help
IMG_1876.JPG IMG_1877.JPG

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Have you considered removing the switch on the hub and hard-wiring the hub contacts into your ignition accessories switch?
Your mentioned option is to go to an electronics supplier and find a longer version of your black push-button. (The black caps are removable/replaceable)

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
That is a tact switch, SPST momentary. On the bottom side of the board, the two larger pins are the frame and have no electrical function. The two smaller pins are the switch contacts. Jumpering them together is the same as holding down the switch continuously. If you device doesn't mind this, then your turn-on problem is solved but the only way to turn it ff is to unplug the power. If it really wants a momentary on pulse, you can solder wires onto the two switch pins and extend them to another SPST switch.

ak

Jay Singh

Feb 8, 2016
That is a tact switch, SPST momentary. On the bottom side of the board, the two larger pins are the frame and have no electrical function. The two smaller pins are the switch contacts. Jumpering them together is the same as holding down the switch continuously. If you device doesn't mind this, then your turn-on problem is solved but the only way to turn it ff is to unplug the power. If it really wants a momentary on pulse, you can solder wires onto the two switch pins and extend them to another SPST switch.

ak

Thanks, that's what I wanted. I'll remove the switch and put a wire between them. That way when I switch the car off, the unit will also turn off

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Safer to leave the switch in place and solder the jumper between the pins on the bottom surface of the board.

ak