Connect with us

Help building an RC car from scratch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Satch, Nov 15, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Satch

Satch

Nov 15, 2012
    I am building car in metalwork class and I want to try to make it radio controlled. How do I go about doing this? What parts do I need? Will it be costly? It doesn't have to be anything too complex, just something that can go fowards, backwards and turn left and right.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Cheapest option get a cheap toy RC car and gut the controls out of it, use the existing battery and charger if it came with one...

Beyond that you can purchase the servos, speed controller and radio in a kit and all the rest from a hobby shop as a vast majority of the 'pro' grade RC stuff is build yourself kit form...

3. Satch

Satch

Nov 15, 2012
    Thanks that's not a bad idea.
    Apart from that though if I was to buy all the parts required, what do I need? Remember it needs to stay cheap and preferably electronic rather than petrol/gas powered

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You need a radio (remote), a servo for steering and some sort of speed controller... As well as all the mechanical parts to interface it all... And it's not going to be cheap if you purchase the parts individually... Cheapest is to simply buy a half way decent remote control car and gut it as I said, don't go for the cheapest remote car you find as most of them lack function, you want something full featured if you are going to gut it...

5. Satch

Satch

Nov 15, 2012
    Ok thanks for the help

Ask a Question