Connect with us

Help adding delay to reduce false trigger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by maxedmini, Nov 26, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. maxedmini

maxedmini

Nov 26, 2010
    hi there this is my first attempt at creating a circuit so keep it simple for me please :D:D

A quick description
    the circuit is used to warn of low coolant on a car
    the green led is lit when the ignition is turned on and the red led and buzzer sound when the float closes the switch this all works ok BUT i need to add a delay to reduce a false trigger as i have found the water movement sometime closes the switch for a second and i get a quick buzz and a flash of the led

so what i require is a way to add a delay so if the switch is closed only for a second or so the buzzer and led do not trigger???

the components used are
    red LED = 12v 8.5mA
    Green LED = 12v 8.5mA
    Buzzer = 3 to 24Vdc 5mA

thanks
    [​IMG]

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Everything is OK except what you have done with the LEDs. (Adding a delay is non-trivial)

Perhaps those LEDs have an integral series resistor. Otherwise they would have given one bright flash before expiring.

Using a time delay relay may be an option. It has a delay down to 1 second. It may be a little pricey though.

I've tried finding a simple circuit that I would be happy placing in a car, but I've not been successful. I don't want to suggest something that is too hard to build, nor something that will not cope with voltage fluctuations that are common on car electrical systems.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. maxedmini

maxedmini

Nov 26, 2010
    yes the leds are 12v ones

I have built the current circuit and all works fine except for the false alarms

can a 555 chip be used some way to prevent this??

4. neon

neon

Oct 21, 2006
    USE AN LM555 as one shot for one sec use it as a one shot using pin 2 as triggering or tbreak the line from switch red cathode install a big cap in series to the buzzer and that will spike the buzzer to ground when the switches closes only.

Ask a Question