Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help adapting a transformer to battery external laptop battery charger cable

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
If the title didn't make much sense I've included the pic. I'm a newb in electronics but I'm courageous enough to take this on. I lost the original transformer. These things look rare or are just made for these battery(directly to) chargers. You see transformers for random electronics at thrift stores all over so I'm wondering how I might go about grabbing one, the one with the right specs, and adapt it to this cable. As you can see the connector looks standard tho I don't think I've seen the accompanying female port on a transformer like that. They usually have that dual plug form. You know what I mean? So what are my options? Should I be able to find a .50 cent transformer that will fit this or can I rig it some how or get some parts from radio shack? Yeah, these charging cables new are like $70. No way. I'm halfway there and the only thing stopping me is a couple feet of metal and rubber stuff and I know you guys will have an answer. *fingers crossed*

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 115

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi, if I understand you correctly, you lost your laptop charger.
You want to buy one from a thrift store.
But you have not seen a charger with the female jack?

As long as the charger / adapter you buy has very similar specs to the original it will be fine.
Also, make sure the polarity is the same as the original too. ie centre pin + or -.
There is normally a tiny reference to that on the adapter body where the specs are.
So assuming you buy the said adapter, all you will need is a female to female jack. Take adapter and your cable when you buy this as there are a few sizes..

Like this..

upload_2015-6-8_8-42-5.jpegHope this helps.
Martin.

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
Ah, good idea. I shall rummage through the thrift shops and electronics store for such an adapter. thank you!

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
What is this type of connecting called? I've an "iec" female connector attached to i think it's called a transformer maybe, a rectangular box attached to a power cable before the wall connector, which I'd like to adapt to the above pic cable. So it would be a male iec connector adapted to a female connector of the above type. But i need to know what's called so i talk about it lol. Thanks

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/621271455.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail

That's what i have basically what i have minus the transformer. The one i have is from an old stolen Toshiba laptop I figure has the same or close enough specs, but it's got the iec female connector. Notice the transformer has leds for charging status? not necessary but would be nice. Is that a proprietary part? Or could i find that somewhere less than what the whole expensive charger costs? Thanks

As you can see in the image attached, these are the two i want to connect. Just need the names of terms to go research

Attachments

• IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0324.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi juntjoo,
I am not really sure I quite understood your message.
I couldn't see the linked picture.

The rectangle box is indeed a smps (switch mode power supply) Or a 'transformer', 'power pack' etc.
That has a IEC C7 connector. So all you need is the IEC C7 cable and plug.

You probably have several around the house..Radio, Hi Fi, Playstation 3, etc have this connector/cable.

If I am reading correctly,
rectangular box attached to a power cable before the wall connector
It's the IEC C7 cable that goes to the wall socket. The wire attached with the small jack plug is what goes to the computer / battery.
Martin.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
images
images

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys but click on the pic and you'll see the two parts i want to connect. Obviously the several rectangular pronged connector plugs to a laptop battery and the other circular male end needs to connect to a transformer, like the one next to it to get power from the wall. What is that male connector type called? I'm still looking, here and there between other things. Will update as i learn unless you guys know. Thanks!

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
Martin thanks. So attached is a transformer i found stripped. If i could just electrical tape that on would the 25% larger power output kill the battery? ...or just.charge it fastero_O?

Otherwise ... I guess i could just strip the wire on the Toshiba cord as it's specs match my current battery/laptop power cord. Wutcha think?

BTW, if you like some salt in your salad, grab a bag of cheesy pretzels and once done dump the bottom of the bag in your salad. Make sure to use good small harder tasty tomatoes and your dressing of choice.

Attachments

• IMAG0325.jpg
    IMAG0325.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
NO, the transformer you just posted wont do the job..It is AC input and AC output.

Your Toshiba one is better suited. AC input and DC output.

Pay close attention to AC and DC when tinkering. Or you will damage the item being powered.

Although some batteries can be charged via AC, the laptop needs a heavily regulated DC supply.
Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
BTW, if you like some salt in your salad, grab a bag of cheesy pretzels and once done dump the bottom of the bag in your salad. Make sure to use good small harder tasty tomatoes and your dressing of choice.
Where on earth did that come from?

You clearly have no idea how to eat pretzels or for that matter a salad!!

Salt only goes on my tomatoes and cucumber...

And pretzels are first smashed in the bag and poured into the mouth after a sip of beer!!!!
GEEZ....
Martin

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Where on earth did that come from?

You clearly have no idea how to eat pretzels or for that matter a salad!!

Salt only goes on my tomatoes and cucumber...

And pretzels are first smashed in the bag and poured into the mouth after a sip of beer!!!!
GEEZ....
Martin

LOL, brilliant, so talented, electronics and culinary skills, we're living the dream on here.
Adam