Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello everybody

PING PONG LADY

Jul 28, 2015
Hello my dear friends. My step-daughter told me to come here and ask why her batteries don't last very long. Well I told her that if she continues to buy cheap batteries they wont last long at all. I just need to be able to show her why the batteries don't last long. She won't tell tell me how much money she spends a week on batteries but I know it;s a lot.
Please help me explain that cheap batteries don't last.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hello my dear friends. My step-daughter told me to come here and ask why her batteries don't last very long. Well I told her that if she continues to buy cheap batteries they wont last long at all. I just need to be able to show her why the batteries don't last long. She won't tell tell me how much money she spends a week on batteries but I know it;s a lot.
Please help me explain that cheap batteries don't last.
You might be interested in these resources then:
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-lo.html
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-hi.html

We can 'say' that cheap batteries don't last very long. Although that's very often true, it's not ALWAYS the answer.
Different chemistries last different lengths of time... and some batteries that perform amazing in a camera, won't actually out last the competition in a TV remote control.
The links I shared above show a comparison of 30 different common batteries, This would be the ideal thing to show her.

Additionally... you should be looking at it as a function of cost.
If the expensive batteries cost twice as much, then they should give her twice the amount of pictures.
I'm unsure how many she is actually going through, and you may not want to hear this, but as long as the 'cheap' batteries last long enough for the cost... it's worth it.
I would highly encourage her to keep her eyes out for deals though, and pay attention to how many pictures she can take with the cheap pair compared to the expensive pair.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello Ping Pong Lady
It depends on what your daughter is using the batteries for. One way you could prove is to both use the same piece of equipment and you use some better batteries and your daughter use the cheap ones. See who lasts the longest.
Thanks
Adam

PING PONG LADY

Jul 28, 2015
Oh thank you my dear. How did you ever reply so fast. This all new to me.
Please, the blue letters. What do they do? I can't get to grips with this technology. When you get to my age dear, things look very different.
I only want my son to have more money and not batteries

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Oh thank you my dear. How did you ever reply so fast. This all new to me.
Please, the blue letters. What do they do? I can't get to grips with this technology. When you get to my age dear, things look very different.
I only want my son to have more money and not batteries
Blue letters represent links, and clicking them will take you to another website that has graphs outlining many of the details of the tested batteries. (Is that what you meant?)

http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-lo.html
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-hi.html

If you want a quick summary, Lithium batteries last the absolute longest, but are quite expensive... so they are not really worth it from a money saving point of view... as you could use numerous cheaper batteries to be able to take the same amount of photos.

It sounds odd... but if you take the price of the batteries and divide that by the number of photos you can take, most cheaper batteries actually give you more for you money... although you end up replacing the batteries much more often.

I would very highly encourage you to get your son or daughter in-law to look at those links I shared, or talk them into doing an experiment with another set of batteries.
(Additionally, depending on the device, it may be cheaper in the long-run to buy a new camera that comes with a Lithium-ion rechargeable battery...)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I've copied one of the graphs for you to review right here in the message.
Take a look at the battery names. "Ah" refers to Amp-Hours and is a measurement of how much energy is stored in a battery. This graph is a comparison of how much you are paying for each "Ah" worth of energy in a battery. In this case, the lowest cost per Ah is ideal.
cpah_large_1000mA.png

PING PONG LADY

Jul 28, 2015
Oh you poor thing. Any way, Shall I tell her to buy the best batteries. My husband will be turning in his grave right now. She always wasted money.
Oh sorry, the blue letters that came first. They wasn't very interesting dear.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Good luck and come back if you need any more help.
Thanks
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Oh you poor thing. Any way, Shall I tell her to buy the best batteries. My husband will be turning in his grave right now. She always wasted money.
Oh sorry, the blue letters that came first. They wasn't very interesting dear.
Well. There is no 'best' battery, but according to the research done in the links I shared, it would seem that many of the 'cheap' supermarket batteries would actually allow you to take more pictures for less of a cost than buying the more expensive batteries.
So, although she may be going through lots of cheap batteries, financially, she is spending less on many cheap batteries. She would most likely end up spending more overall money of fewer name brand batteries to get the same amount of pictures taken.

Please , the best thing you can do, is share these resources with them.

Best of luck.
Let us know if you need any more help.

PING PONG LADY

Jul 28, 2015
Oh dear, we have pictures too dear. Let me change my glasses. It just all seems red lines. You are so very kind.

PING PONG LADY

Jul 28, 2015
Oh I don't know all this dear. I will ask my son tomorrow to read this. He is very intellectual and knows how to use a computer. He has an iphone too that talks to him. How times change. But thank you very much dear.