Connect with us

Hello and Help with ID of a 16pin IC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Peter Lawford, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Peter Lawford

Peter Lawford

Mar 24, 2017
    Hello from New Brunswick Canada. I will be up front with you all, I need help with the ID of a 16pin IC. Back in the 1980-90's I ran an electronics business, other guys there were the real brains. Anyway, now retired and in Canada my wife and I run a Long Arm Quilting business.
    In an act of 100% carelessness, two cables were incorrectly inserted into one of the controls, which resulted in a 16pin IC getting hot and virtually destroying the ID printed on the IC.

Tin Lizzie IC 1a.jpg
    Along the bottom I believe I can make out XNAH0828, but using Google I haven't been able to identify the specific IC. The circuit board was made or designed by I.T.Solutions 2010.

It links to a small LCD display and sends signals to the stitch regulator system.

I also Googled I.T Solutions, there is a company with that name but not sure it is the correct one.

The IC is in a base and although damaged, I have sufficient skill to desolder and replace the base.

I know I am asking a lot, but at the moment we are waiting to see if Tin Lizzie (Utah based) who make the machine can find a replacement board.

Thank you.

Peter Lawford.

peterhlawford at gmail dot com

2. Peter Lawford

Peter Lawford

Mar 24, 2017
    Update to above. It has been possible to decipher part of the upper sequence of characters on the IC. First characters destroyed but then 8084CPE or 3084CPE
    A very feint mark may suggest a Q instead of 0,

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    that bottom line is just manuf and date of manuf

it's the top line that is the part type .... can you clean it up any better and take another pic ?

4. Peter Lawford

Peter Lawford

Mar 24, 2017
    Hello and thanks to everyone for their interest and input. I have recently learned that the IC could well be a :-

"Looks like a Freescale MC908QB4CPE microcontroller. There are sources for the chip or near-equivalent replacements, but unless you have the code to be burned to it and a programmer to burn it with there is no way to create a duplicate of the original by yourself".

Regards to everyone

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, I looked at the photo just after the thread was posted and I had a bad feeling about it.

Keep your fingers crossed that you can get a replacement board.

edit: sometimes you have to look for scrapped units to scavenge parts from.

Ask a Question