Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello and... DC water pumps etc

Backyard Fun

Jan 28, 2017
OK, another newbie here. Hello everyone. So glad we have forums like this.
To cut to the chase, I'm going to be lazy, as I just arrived and ask a quick question,
instead of searching for the answer which I know is probably already here.

If I take a table top water fall,
cut the cord to the wall rectifier
and put together a battery pack that matches the DC that the wall outlet rectifies it to,
would that not successfully operate the waterfall,
so I can put it out in my backyard?

Your patience in giving me an answer or providing links to where battery operated water pumps are in the forum would be greatly appreciated.

(other project: I built a dry ice snow volcano and would like to add a battery operated, motion-activated red LED light, water pump that just adds a minute amount of water to existing dry ice and operate an audio recording. )

Old Grey

Feb 5, 2016
If it's just a DC motor sure you can use batteries, the problem is that DC motors use a lot of power so they might run out pretty fast depending on how big the battery is.

Probably some microprocessor system like Arduino can do the dry ice thing.

Backyard Fun

Jan 28, 2017
If it's just a DC motor sure you can use batteries, the problem is that DC motors use a lot of power so they might run out pretty fast depending on how big the battery is.

Probably some microprocessor system like Arduino can do the dry ice thing.

Thank you for the response Old Grey. :)

DC motors use a lot of power so they might run out pretty fast depending on how big the battery is.

Would adding batteries with the appropriate voltage in parallel make it a longer lasting DC power source?

Last edited:

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Thank you for the response Old Grey. :)

Would adding batteries with the appropriate voltage in parallel make it a longer lasting DC power source?
Yes, batteries in parallel increases the 'pool' of power available without changing the voltage (pressure). Batteries in series increases the voltage.