Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heathkit GC-1197 Chime Clock Help!

Lenp

Sep 8, 2009
I have a legacy Heathkit GC-1197 clock with the chime board. It was repackaged into an old school weight driven master clock. LED seven segment displays replaced the original lamp display and that was also within the old cock case, and used just for setting the clock. For years it worked perfectly, but a few years ago Zeuss arrived, with his lightning strike and the chime system, and several other items, went sour The clock side still works, and there is some background noise from the speaker, like amplifier noise so I believe the fault(s) are in the chime logic circuits.
I have the manuals, a shop full of test equipment and started on the repair years ago, but became busy and set it aside. Now, with a bit more time, I want to revisit it again, Before I dig in, I am wondering if there are any thoughts from other members of the forum?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Lenny . . . . . . .auf der Nutskies und Voltskies . . .

Is that help like, HELP . . . . or like . . . . .like . . . . .like
Help,help me Rhonda ?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Help_Me_Ronda.ogg

All ready to go.
Got the units construction manual . . . . RESPLENDENTLY complete, with ALL of its check off marks.
The separate, add on chimes, must be a separate unit aspect, possibly a set in, from another commercial supplier.
Imagine ! . . . .that display was a built up of reduced voltage incandescant lamps for its 7 segment displays.
BUT your audio driver to the units speaker is being an olde first generation Fairchild TBA820L, and is being of MOST suspect, see if you can inject an audio tone or music and get a CLEAN output from the systems speaker.

Thaaaaaaasssssssit . . . . . for now

73's de Edd
[email protected]. . . . . . . . . . .(Interstellar~~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected]. . . . . . . . . . (Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)

Once while sitting at a restaurant, I heard a busboy comment, that they should make straws with the wrapper on the inside of the straw . . . since that's the part you REALLY don't want to get dirty.

Last edited:

Lenp

Sep 8, 2009
Hi edd,
Been busy with other work that popped up but I will definately get to this project soon, and, I will keep you in the loop!
73's