Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heater element continuity test with multimeter

westrock

May 14, 2013
I have an LG dishwasher (model LDS5811WW/02) that is throwing an "HE" error code. According to LG the error code indicates a bad heater element or heater circuit. I pulled the heater element and checked for continuity at the leads of the heater element with a multimeter. The continuity test was negative; there was no reading for a continuous circuit. I checked the heater element at points behind the mounting plate (see pic) and at that point there was positive continuity so I'm wondering if the element is bad or not. The leads look in good shape with just a little rust, and the element looks sound.

Attachments

• DSCF1554.JPG
    DSCF1554.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF1556.JPG
    DSCF1556.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF1557.JPG
    DSCF1557.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 218

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No point testing the outside of the heater. Check for the resistance between the two power connectors.

There is also a possibility there is a connection between these and the case (and that would be a bad thing).

The reason for the error code clearly indicates that the driver circuit for this may also be the fault. That may be harder to check.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You can 'idiot' test the element, strip the wires on a cheap extension cord and attaching them to the power connectors (spade connectors with yellowish ceramic on each side of the unit) with some tape... Place the element in a frying pan or on a non-flammable surface and plug it in for a bit... It should heat up in a few seconds, if not it's broken...

And play safe, don't burn down the place, that element will glow red doing this 'idiot' test, don't be an idiot...

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I pulled the heater element and checked for continuity at the leads of the heater element with a multimeter. The continuity test was negative; there was no reading for a continuous circuit.

I don't think you need to test the element any further. That test should suffice. It's open.

Chris

westrock

May 14, 2013
I don't think you need to test the element any further. That test should suffice. It's open.

Chris

The element is bad, as the continuity test indicated. There is an internal fuse in these elements that fails and you have to replace the entire element, so I had to order a new one.