Connect with us

Heated Gloves

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Paul McKinnon, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Paul McKinnon

Paul McKinnon

Nov 21, 2016
    Folks,

A complete amateur here... I want to put some heating elements in a pair of mits for my golf cart. I have purchased a cheap flexible set of heating elements, one designed to give a motorcycle heated grips, but need some help on the battery requirements. The pads (x2) are 12v and state 15watts per pad... I would like to keep them on for 4 hours at a time. Ideally I want to power it with a Li-ion quick recharge solution.

I was going to have a stab at the maths, but will avoid embarrassing myself... Have I provided enough info and can anyone suggest the right spec of battery?

Another question, if I was to try and use the 12v golf cart supply what would be the key considerations - Is this likely to fry the pads or do you think this would be a massive drain on the battery life (It lasts about 5 hours at present - Motocaddy M3)

Thanks for any help....

Paul.

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Your golf trolley probably draws around 10A average. The two pads are rated for 12V so would be ok run from the golf trolley 12V battery. They would would draw 2.5A. So you would reduce battery life by about 20%, i.e. you'd get about 4hrs run time.
    You may find 15W too much, so a PWM power controller could be useful.

hevans1944 likes this.
  3. Paul McKinnon

Paul McKinnon

Nov 21, 2016
    Much obliged Alec... If I wanted to go the independent battery route, what Ah battery would you suggest ?

Thanks,

Paul.

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Four hours with 2.5 A current is... um... lessee... 10 Ah! Buy a Li-ion with at least that much capacty.

chopnhack likes this.
  5. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Agreed, in a glove that is a lot of heat being dissipated to your hands! When its being used to warm the cycles handgrips they are counting on heat loss to the atmosphere and through convection.

6. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Something like this would probably do for a PWM controller.

hevans1944 likes this.
Ask a Question