Connect with us

heat sink

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SNEHAL, Nov 23, 2010.

1. SNEHAL

SNEHAL

Nov 10, 2010
    in the heatsink calculations of power amplifier, what parameter actually decides whether a heat sink is to chosen or not? Generally,ppl say a power amplifier requires a heat sink.(I am using power amplifier ic LM3876 rated 56 watt).

2. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    Generally on the datasheet will be a table telling you the parameters where the component can be used with or without a heatsinc. I would suggest working out how much current the component will be drawing and check with the datasheet to see whether you will need to heat sink the component. However for a power amplifier i would be suprised if a heat sink was not needed.

3. SNEHAL

SNEHAL

Nov 10, 2010
    Actually! a heat sink is a default as far as apower amp is concerned, the datasheet does mention heat sink calculations.But what parameter decides this,as in what thing shud i consider whilst selecting the heat sink.

4. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    Ok the main things to consider arent generally the heat sink insteld but the possition and airflow accross it. The heatsink must have a surface area great enough to dissipate the heat being transfered to it. (u should also look into thermal paste). However this heat must then escape into the air or whatever medium your assembly will be working in. so good air flow through the fins is needed. Make sure if the assemble will be concealed that the heat sinc is placed in a well ventilated area. you should also think about different shapes of heatsink and whether u intend to use bonded fin or extrusion. there are many parameters to consider. but the part you are using should come with a recomended heat sink you can buy already for that part.

5. SNEHAL

SNEHAL

Nov 10, 2010
    by parameters or factors i mean Tja,Tjc,Tc etc.(the design parameters).

6. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    I cannont explain the use of thermal dynamics in an electronic system without more information on what you are planning to do.

take a look at this site: http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/Heatsinks/Heatsinks.html

This site gives a basic understanding of how and when to use heat sinks as well as introducing a few different types and methods. The calculations are included.

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Start at 12:16 here for a quick discussion, or go here for a more detailed discussion.

Ask a Question