Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Headset -- Loose Connection?

Kegdas

Jul 16, 2011
Hey all.

I plugged in my Headphones earlier today and I noticed there is sound coming from only one headphone. If I get the wire in the right position, though, which isn't hard at all, it'll come out of both.

I figure this is a loose connection, from general knowledge, so tomorrow I will buy a solder and soldering iron.

I took apart my headphones and here is the volume control thingy (in attachment). Can anyone figure out which connection is loose, and then what would I exactly have to do to get it back to normal? I can get some more pictures if you would all want, but just to tell you I have to wiggle the top wire (top of the picture) that connects to the actual headset, not the bottom one that connects to the USB.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 0716011841.jpg
    0716011841.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 490

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It is quite possible the wire has broken in the cable. If there is a section that gets twisted or bent as you use the headphones, that will be a probable location.

The solution may be as simple as shortening the cable a little, However there may be molded fittings which make that difficult.

Kegdas

Jul 16, 2011
I kinda feel stupid. The connections are labled, and the one for the one side of the headphone (left one) that isn't working is the first one in this pic, the closest to the left.

What would I need to do? Shorten the wire? De-solder it then solder it? Or just apply a "fresh" new coat of Solder onto the parts that aren't covered or correctly connected (which I really don't know if they are not connected correctly)?

Attachments

• 0716012113.jpg
    0716012113.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 394

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If the solder joint is not connected correctly then all you need to do is touch it with a hot soldering iron. Perhaps adding a (very) little more solder.

But more likely the wire is broken somewhere in the cable.

See if you can determine where it is sensitive to flexing before you try to fix it.

Get some insulated thing (a toothpick?) and apply a small amount of pressure to various areas of the cable and joint to try to find out where the bad connection is.

Kegdas

Jul 16, 2011
I'm really new to soldering, but a joint is where there is a "hole" in the circuit board, correct? Where you put the wire through, solder it, then remove excess wire? There is no hole for these. It just connects and there is a coat of some white/clear stuff over it that I assumed is solder. I felt the cable, and basically right where the wires follow into the cables it is very bendy, but I doubt that is a problem because I'm pretty sure it was always like that. Looking at the connection for the left headphone, it honestly, compared to the others, doesn't look right. White is covering only half of it and the other half is open, silver, or in very rare cases, black. I honestly think It is a problem with the connection because of that.

If my above hypothesis is true, what would I need to do again? touch it with a hot soldering iron, and maybe, just maybe, add a very little bit of solder to it so it is covered? Or would I have to de-solder it first, then make sure I connect it properly, then solder it?

I don't know if you can see it from this pic, but its the green wire, the first one.

EDIT: Just a heads up, I probably won't stop checking back on this site for a bit, so if you reply I will probably be here to reply back.

Attachments

• 0716012301.jpg
    0716012301.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A joint is where 2 things join.

A soldered joint is where solder is used to join 2 things.

In this case the wire is just joined to a pad, there is no hole through which it passes.

I would be very doubtful about the joint being the cause of the problem. Did the speaker start/stop working as you poked an prodded the wire near the joint?

Kegdas

Jul 16, 2011
A joint is where 2 things join.

A soldered joint is where solder is used to join 2 things.

In this case the wire is just joined to a pad, there is no hole through which it passes.

I would be very doubtful about the joint being the cause of the problem. Did the speaker start/stop working as you poked an prodded the wire near the joint?
You're right, that isn't the problem, but at/right above the insulation where the wires proceed into which run into the actual speakers on the headphones, if you bend that the sound will falter.
16093-7.png

the connection fails when you move the wire somewhere at the top part with the insulation that is randomly spaced out. It is that random insulation, or the wire itself. In this picture I circled the spot red.

Attachments

• Image.aspx.jpg
    Image.aspx.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 344

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, can you pull some wire through there, or is the cable joined to the strain relief?

If you can pull some cable through, note which wires connect where, then pull through about 5cm of cable and re-solder the connections.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Can you remove the strain relief, cut it off and replace it with something else that will offer strain relief *and* anchor the cable?

Kegdas

Jul 16, 2011
I guess I could cut it off, but I would have no idea what to replace it with.

Also, I'd like to note that to effectively close the volume control, you need the strain relief, as it helps it lock into place. Could I possible cut a very little off it, fix it, then tape/hot glue it/solder it or something?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can try anything.

Is this still under warranty? That may be your best bet.