Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Headphones repair

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
My kids go through headphones like toilet paper. Somehow either the plug or the speaker itself gets detached from the wires. I have made several attempts to fix them but the results are not great. I do not know of a good way to solder the 'tinsel' leads reliably. I have tried to burn the leads and scrape away the char, I have tried to simply scrape away the enamel. These are not easy to solder wires. Any suggestions?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I feel your pain.... I just had to use a micro drill bit to pull out the remnants of a broken headphone adapter that was lodged inside an iPad mini jack. I think the problem is that most of the kids have these bulky covers to protect the device which leaves less of the adapter's strain relief accessible. Harder to get a grip on the barrel and they end up yanking the wires out or in my kids case, bending the adapter in half!

As for the very fine strands of copper, I would dip them after entwining them together. The hot solder should just wick between the strands. Use lots of flux. I do not know how durable this will be afterwards, since this section will now be much stiffer.

Good luck!

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
And to think...I still have a set of headphones that came with my Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra, of which crapped out on me (the jukebox that is).

Edwardw35

Jun 16, 2015
Check your headphone where you are purchased, if this is hardware problem, they will repair your headphone.

EngJoseph

Dec 12, 2015
1 - if your headphones are wet, make it a place were your kids can't get it and let it dry.
2 - when it got dry ( after 1 hour ), try stripping the top cover of the speaker cable.
3 - try stripping the down cover of the wires, and try to make a good knot and cover it with adhesive tape or use a welding wire using a
Adjustable Temperature Welding Solder Soldering Iron Electric Tool.

I wish you understand the steps and the solution work for you :) .
Greetings

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Me and the rest of us here have seen this problem repeatedly, and have offered advice about what to do about it.
It's a difficult repair and there have been a lot of good directions given on this site for anyone who wants to attempt repairs.
I don't want to rehash what's already been posted. I imagine a lot of others who supplied directions in the past don't want to repeat themselves either.
If the previous advice given isn't easily accessible, maybe the Moderators can direct set-up a Frequently Asked Questions thing, to access many of those previous helpful posts.
Yeah. The repair is not an easy one, and only a few of us bother with them on our good headphones.
My advice to you with small kids, is to check the closest '99 cent thrift store' and buy a case of them for your kids to use and destroy.
Good luck.