Connect with us

Headphones mute speakers when plugged in

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by nastase valentin, Feb 27, 2016.

1. nastase valentin

nastase valentin

Dec 15, 2015
    Hi there, i want to start a project, where i can modify my old speaker 2.0 system to build some kind of a soundboard so that i can plug in my headphones to get more power as i can get from my pc output.

The whole project i want to start that because my pc soundboard is very weak, and even my phone can play music a lot louder as my pc can do. So because of that, i want to build something into my old speaker system.

My question is, what's the name of this soundboard where when you connect your headphones it automaticaly turn of the speaker.
    What components do i need, or if there are something like this already build available to buy on ebay or amazon, that would be awesome.

Thank you guys !!

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You would need a headphone jack with a normally closed switches on the tip and ring.

See datasheet here for example:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/670/sj-356xn-series-519937.pdf

Look at the SJ3568N model.

You would route the left and right audio thorough the switches to the speakers. When the headphone jack is inserted the speaker connections are broken.

Bob

3. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    davenn likes this.
  4. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    There are at least two different places to adjust the audio volume in a Windows system. Are you sure you have things turned up?

5. nastase valentin

nastase valentin

Dec 15, 2015
    All my settings are good on my pc, is just the component that is bad, i work with pc's and i know when something is bad from software or hardware, but this is a hardware problem.

Thank you Bobk i do have such an headphone jack from an old portable dvd player, i can just use it. Never tought of this. Thanks ! Topic solved !

Ask a Question