Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Headphones (ATH-M50)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yep, once the coating is off a little flux and the solder should take right to it...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
That's confusing. So how do I know the coating is off if I didn't tin the wire with solder yet?
By the way, I tried with a blob of solder and it does attach a little here and there, but the blob itself doesn't stick to the soldering iron's tip, it just slips or falls.

Oh, and I'll need to buy flux if it's a must. Care to name a product so I can eBay search it?

Edit: Found this, will it work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Solderi...786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337ac1131a

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
That's confusing. So how do I know the coating is off if I didn't tin the wire with solder yet?

What is confusing? If the solder sticks/coats to the wire the isolation is gone...

By the way, I tried with a blob of solder and it does attach a little here and there, but the blob itself doesn't stick to the soldering iron's tip, it just slips or falls.

Google 'tinning soldering iron' and likely turn down the heat... BTW if you come across a video of a guy using a file on the solder iron, don't do that, most tips have a coating on them that will prevent rapid oxidation... Using a file like that is a last resort to milk a dead tip in a worst case...

Oh, and I'll need to buy flux if it's a must. Care to name a product so I can eBay search it?

Most solder has a flux core so it's not necessary to purchase more, just put some more fresh solder on and you will in turn get the flux...

As for what to search for 'rosin flux' would be the most common and practical for most purposes..

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
OK so I read that I need to set the iron to around 750 F (400 C), and my iron isn't temp-adjustable, it's fixed at 375 C, which is not too far from 400 C.
The other step mentioned is to clean the iron from old solder, and I don't have that "special" sponge. Any alternatives?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Any 'cellulose' sponge will work, these are the old fashioned ones that dry up like cardboard, not the foam kind... Or you can simply use a damp paper towel or damp cotton rag, not soaked damp...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
OK so I got a blob on the tip and wrapped the wire with the blob until it stuck.
It does seem like the wire turned black or something, though, at least the tiny strand of it that can be seen. Hopefully I didn't burn it.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
375° C is not enough to melt or damage the copper wire, worst case it will slightly temper and oxidize it... Any black color you see is the lacquer coating burning off...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
Alrighty then.
Do you have a suggestion as to how to remove solder without a solder pump (sucker) or that wire with little holes?

I have solder all over the place on the right speaker, right now it's shorted. I did order a desolder pump 2 weeks ago but it has yet to arrive...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
OK, I successfully soldered both speakers and according to my multimeter, there's connectivity between the two. However, no sound is coming out of the right speaker, and I did initially check that each of them works. They are new speakers that I bought because one speaker of the old pair didn't work.

Update:
I found out that the black and green wires have a connection between them. Is this normal?
6huphi.jpg

Last edited:

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
A little bump. Is a connection between the green and black wires normal?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The green and black could very well be connected, or they could very well not be connected hard to say and your image is not clear enough for me to see...

If the speaker is not working there is likely a short somewhere or a bad solder...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
The green and black ARE connected, that's after checking with my multimeter. I'm wondering if that is normal, as it's the same on both elements.

I'm gonna pick up the solder sucker I ordered from the post office in two days, I'll post back after I cleaned the elements of solder and resoldered the wires, to make sure there's isn't any excessive solder that's causing a short.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The green and black ARE connected, that's after checking with my multimeter. I'm wondering if that is normal, as it's the same on both elements.

But, is it because of solder bridge or short you created or is it supposed to be? If the wires are common side to side, than a short anywhere will show continuity throughout the circuit... This is why you should inspect any areas you soldered and verify clean solders, and also it's good measure to remove excess flux as it can create a short in some instances...

As for being odd, no it's not many times in audio equipment (as well as some other types of circuits) there are two grounds, one analog and one digital, they are common but routed in certain ways as to avoid ground loops... Also in audio equipment (as well as some other types of circuits) there are instances where a grounded wire is used as a shield, or simply a 'backup' ground...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
How will I remove the flux?
Once I clean the elements from all solder (and thus also remove the wires), I'll check again for continuity.
Stay tuned. :D

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Q-tip and rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol or denatured (ethanol) alcohol will work fine here, just scrub the soldered areas clean... Don't soak the area, just use a damn Q-tip and scrub over the area...

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
So I got the solder pump and it definitely does not remove all solder. It only removes small blobs, it doesn't remove solder that's flat.
I was able to get a cleaner area though, and I used the solder iron to make sure no solder connected between things that I think shouldn't be connected, but checking with the multimeter, now everything touches everything.

I really don't know what to do. How does this work? Is everything connected to everything else in headphones?

Edit:
Re-cleaned solder with the iron and the shorts are fixed.
I also compared the two new elements to the one of the old pair that worked and they are the same as far as connectivity goes, so now I'll re-solder everything and... Wish me luck. :D

Last edited:

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
OK, done resoldering, rechecked that there isn't short circuiting anywhere (there isn't I soldered good), but for whatever reason - still no sound on the right element.

Here's how I soldered the left speaker (not my photo):
http://i48.tinypic.com/2nty4j4.jpg

And the right speaker is the same but without the three main wires (same photo as above, but terribly edited by me):
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rqkda8.jpg

I am absolutely out of ideas. What am I doing wrong?

yonyz

Aug 23, 2012
Oi, 4th post in a row, just wanted to let you know I got them fixed just now.
Eventually I did burn one of the new elements I bought, so I used the working element of the old pair, but anyway, the problem as expected was with how I soldered the right element. Here's the right way to do it:
11109eb.jpg

Now they're working and all is good. :D
Thanks everyone. :)