Connect with us

Head scratching fault.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by dmmarchy, Jun 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dmmarchy

dmmarchy

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi I have a Cheap Technika 22" lcd tv.. I have a Passion for fixing things etc and cannot fathom out latest problem.. TV turns on, very dim screen almost black. but you can just make out menu etc. I was told to check for blown caps (ie bulging heads ) these all seem okay. I was then told to change the inverter card. which i did and still the same.. Odd thing is when i hold down display button on the remote the screen appears for a couple of seconds, then goes again until i press display button again.. 2 seconds then off... any pointers or clues would be much appreciated .. I know its only a cheap telly but love tinkering and fixing things .( hate to see waste electrical gear in this throwaway society ) Many thanks.

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    its possible its a setting, the Backlight setting to be precise, try increasing this.

Measure the voltages to the inverter board, there may be something faulty there.

3. sheldonstv

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
    it may be that you have a faulty ccfl backlight...........

4. dmmarchy

dmmarchy

Jun 7, 2013
    Many thanks for your replies .. Ive been through all the settings and all set correctly. ( was quite tricky had to keep pressing remote display to see screen then 3 secs before it went off. took me about half a hour ! ) I purchased the inverter board new. off Ebay. Could it be the infra red detector ? If i constantly keep pressing the display button screen stays on. but if i stop 3 secnods later goes back to black screen ? Many thank guys.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I agree with green giant and sheldon

the chances are its either the inverter board or the CCFL tube that the inverter board drives
    I have seen very few CCFL failures, 99% of the time its the inverter board

Dave

6. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    It seems odd that the backlight comes on for a few seconds then turns off, with a new inverter board. I guess it could be a problem with the CCFL tube that causes the inverter to detect a problem and shut down... Have you checked for compromised insulation on the CCFL connections? Run it face down in a dark room and look for arcing or corona on the wiring to the CCFL tubes? Also, check the enable signal from the main board to the inverter and/or force the inverter's enable input active.

Those are just suggesitons. I have little experience with LCD TVs. YMMV. Good luck!

Ask a Question