Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hdmi to uhf converter

Payden67

Mar 10, 2016
Ok so I have an old tv with only a vhf/uhf input I want to connect to my laptop hdmi port. I've been searching on the internet fo the last hour or so haven't found anything to specific.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Ok so I have an old tv with only a vhf/uhf input I want to connect to my laptop hdmi port. I've been searching on the internet fo the last hour or so haven't found anything to specific.
You are trying to source a tricky product... HDMI is a very large high-def digital signal that often has a form of DRM associated with it. The vhf/uhf input is a very low resolution analogue signal that is rarely used anymore.
You may need to daisy chain 2 products together to make this work...
- HDMI > Composite converter.
- Composite > VHF/UHF converter.

Please note that the resulting picture will be scaled down dramatically!
Older desktop CRT monitors used to run at 1024px by 768px ... You will be converting down to an 'interlaced 640px by 480px. Which is not much of a difference, but compare that to the monitor you currently have which is probably running at least 1920px by 1080px.
The resulting picture will be good for tv shows and watching youtube... but reading will be difficult. The TV's resolution accounts for less than 1/4 of the space on your monitor, and due to how interlacing works, you will need to scale up text much more to make it readable.